cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sauce & Vinegar

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Sauce & Vinegar

Whilst out today called in at a local cafe where they sell fish & chips.

Asked for some brown sauce and vinegar which was provided in small plastic tubular packets, 3 of each.

Trying to open those packets whilst holding them firmly whilst ensuring the contents did not cover me rather than the food on the plate was an almost impossible task.

What happened to the bottle of sauce and vinegar that was a regular site on cafe tables years ago. ?

9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Sauce & Vinegar

gleneagles wrote:

What happened to the bottle of sauce and vinegar that was a regular site on cafe tables years ago. ?

The got tight. It's easier to give out smaller sachets than it is to let customers loose with a full bottle.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Understand your frustration with those little packets... usually, your fingers are a bit greasy, and that also adds to the problems... I blame the manufacturers of all products that consider sealing the product in an airtight container is good for the product... but not so good if the consumer cannot access the product... I find similar probs with bottles of milk with those "rip" top seals, that have such a small tag on them you can`t grip it, or it rips off before any further ripping can occur...

I usually stick a fork in the vinegar packet... and use the knife to score or cut the sauce packet ( use the plate as a background for the knife cutting).. 

Oh, and where are the bottles of sauce and vinegar. ? ? ?   well, food hygiene may come into play here... it depends on the fastidiousness of the table staff/owner how clean they keep them.... some you would not even want to hold onto, let alone squirt the contents onto you food...  so it is more "hygienic" to supply packets and let the customer make his own mess  ! ! ! .

Fixes: 47

shutter wrote:

I find similar probs with bottles of milk with those "rip" top seals, that have such a small tag on them you can`t grip it, or it rips off before any further ripping can occur...

They annoy me when there's no tag.

Further investigation reveals it to be stuck to the inside of the cap, having become detached from the rest of the seal.

The seal gets stabbed with a teaspoon and lifted off the milk container.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Strangely enough I was in a Weatherspoon pub the other day, they used to have the sachets of sauce/etc they now have bottles of ketchup/brown/vinegar & mustard.
Community Veteran

I haven`t been in a Weatherspoon pub, but from the outside of those I have seen... they look like "nice places" to go...! ! 

In my imagination, perhaps, I expect they ( Weatherspoon ) are trying to change the image of the "pub" as a "drinking place for louts and low life". into "family friendly restaurants" where you go there for the food, and they "just happen to " sell beer as well...

Because of that trend with the big group pub chains nowadays, there must be some "grand design" in the marketing, that deems it a good idea to return to the bottles of sauce, etc, on the tables, ( or a side table where they can be lifted from by customers).. as it brings back the "family friendly" atmosphere, and the staff have been properly "trained" or disciplined, to keep them clean and presentable.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@shutter

You want to call in sometime, our local weatherspoons do a nice coffee latte, but tea is also available at a much lower cost than the well known coffee cafe's

The food is good and at a reasonable price..........

Not that these things interest me I'm just there for the Beer...... and a good selection they have as well !

SmileySmiley

Community Veteran

Thanks for the invite  ! ! !... don`t go out much to pubs... either for serious drinking, or eating...  we do frequent a local pub for Sunday Lunch, (once a fortnight)... ...but only because it is near to the son-in-laws house.  ( they don`t do sunday lunch there....Huh)...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

shutter wrote:

Understand your frustration with those little packets... usually, your fingers are a bit greasy, and that also adds to the problems.

and use the knife to score or cut the sauce packet ( use the plate as a background for the knife cutting).. 

You're about to learn a hack to opening the sachets that will change your life - forever.

You have greasy fingers, you just know that you can't rip open the ketchup and yet you're sat in the car with no knife, table or plate around... 

So.. grab a serviet or tissue... FOLD IT over the top of the sachet (without folding the actual sachet) so that the sachet is inside the fold, now hold the sachet as you normally would when tearing it open and then tear open as normal. The tissue not only absorbs the grease but also gives you something to grip onto.. which transfers the grip to the plastic sachet. The thicker the tissue the better. Note that your finger nails from both hands still need to pinch the plastic as close together as possible for this to work.

Tried, tested and found to be effective.. unless you've already tried ripping it open and stretched it. In that case turn the sachet upside down and try again (with clean tissue). I really should make a youtube video of that..

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Looking forward to your video on Youtube... who knows... maybe it will go viral, and you can start your own channel,showing a load of different "life hacks" that you know about, and with adverts, and make loadsa money.....