cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saturn moon.... and a question unanswered.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Saturn moon.... and a question unanswered.

The possibility of life elsewhere in our galaxy and the almost unknown beyond has been discussed countless times here I know, but it seems to me that one question remains unanswered.

If, as  seems increasingly likely from news reports that Enceladus one of the many moons around Saturn has all the ingredients needed to support life, then if none is found should we be asking why - why there is no life where there should be and why our own earth is teeming with it.

Like Saturn from the Earth I am a billion miles from believing in any God but on this Easter weekend it's food for thought. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-39592059

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: Saturn moon.... and a question unanswered.

Well we are all told about the rarity of the circumstances that have lead to life on Earth here in the Goldilocks Zone. Add to that that these are to all intent and purpose flukes, so if that is the case then what are the true odds that there is, was, or has been ‘life’ on Enceladus, considering its distance from the same zone we inhabit.

Minivanman
Hero

Well the numbers are staggering we know, and take this from one group of Astronomers.

'Astronomers at the University of Auckland claim that there are actually around 100 billion habitable, Earth-like planets in the Milky Way — significantly more than the previous estimate of around 17 billion. There are roughly 500 billion galaxies in the universe, meaning there is somewhere in the region of 50,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (5×1022) habitable planets. I’ll leave you to do the math on whether one of those 50 sextillion planets has the right conditions for nurturing alien life or not'.

So as said, if not then why?

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Please @Minivanman, I'm not that naive that I don't think there isn't the possibility of life elsewhere, but that of course is dependent on what and who made that definition. That number you quote is based on our definition of life but we a only one in how many?

As regards, 'if not then why', then it could easily be life itself. Us humans like to kill everything around us, so who is to say that this hasn't happened elsewhere to the point of extinction!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

There have been million, perhaps billions of life forms on Earth some have adapted and evolved but the majority have died out and no doubt new life forms are emerging all the time (& when I say new life forms I am not thinking about those people wandering about like zombies after taking spice)

Out of those billions of life forms one group of humans must have adapted for us to be in the position we are in today, for example tribes have been found in remote places who have had no contact with the outside world, would they have continued to live like that ? other examples are the american indians would they have continued to live the same existence today as they did a few hundred years ago if they had no violent contact with others from different communities.

So there is very likely to be life forms on many planets but the chances of any life form developing to the level we have done is very remote and in any case will be such a distance away we will never be aware of them.

The key question must be how did life form form in the first place, once we know that it will in turn answer many other questions .

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

There's life here on Earth because of chemical reactions from elements that formed the original dustball that occurred during its development, starting off as water and acids, which became amino acids, and then from amino acids the first protein strand formed, and then the protein strands joined up, and then these proteins formed the first single-celled organisms and multiplied, and all of a sudden (over billions of years of evolution), life formed... Smiley

It's all about the balances of things happening, like the fire triangle, it needs heat, oxygen and a fuel, take those parts away and you have no fire, with life, if you haven't got heat, a mixture of chemicals and an appropriately volatile environment, no life would form, so yes, that moon could support life, but it can't create it as the life triangle is missing what it needs... Smiley

Minivanman
Hero

@Mook

I was not considering you to be naive and sorry if you misunderstood me because I for one think there has to be life out there somewhere. The definition of life here though is of microbes known to exist on earth in far worse or at least as bad as those on that moon.  

Community Veteran

We are generally told that there must be ancient space faring civilisations in the old centre of the galaxy so why haven't they contacted us?

That's explained away by regular extinction events. In the old crowded centre any civilisation wouldn't have time to develop to any great extent. Novas going off with the lighthouse effect would sterilise numerous solar systems over a vast area. An endless race against time to develop a FTL drive.

Here in a "young" spiral arm the human race has no stop watch ticking down but are we are not totally safe from extinction events.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Humans on planet earth are the lowest form of life. Life on other planets will happen when we breed on them many years from now.
Fixes: 47

billnotben wrote:

Here in a "young" spiral arm the human race has no stop watch ticking down but are we are not totally safe from extinction events.

Around 5 billion years until our sun evolves into a Red Giant. I don't want to be around for that.

We need to have found an alternative home before then.

Or a way to stabilise the Sun.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

billnotben wrote:

No we're not, what with the current situation in North Korea and Trump's finger on the big red button!

Minivanman
Hero

Well my money is on extinction before discovery, way before and bit like finding out the meaning of life the day before you die. It's out there somewhere but we are not going to around long enough to find out.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

The only people who are going to discover anything are scientists. And we are not all one of them, short of martians invading us would we even be told the truth if the truth was out there?

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

@Minivanman  "... roughly 500 billion galaxies in the Universe, ..."  Anyone have any idea what lies beyond those galaxies?

Fixes: 125

No idea as they ran out of chocolate bars to name them afterWink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still