cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saturday morning talking point 3: Traditions.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Saturday morning talking point 3: Traditions.

I was planning to start off another tongue-in-cheek topic this Saturday morning. But three things occurred earlier this week that made me change my mind and settle for something a bit more serious.
I was having an email exchange with another forum member, when I added (quite unasked and unrelated to the topic) that I am a bit of a traditionalist about some things.
During that same day during my current driving job, I and a number of other people were badly held up in a narrow lane by a funeral procession headed by a horse pulled hearse, complete with all the trappings that go with it. For myself, although I was running a bit late, I was more than “happy” (the wrong word, but suffices for this) to follow quietly, until such a time that the (long) procession could be decently overtaken. But a number of my fellow drivers were not at all amused, and passed the procession waving abusively and sounding off at the funeral director. I found this behavior quite sickening. I wonder what you think? I can recall my dad (ex-WW2 pow) when walking in Willesden High Street and elsewhere, if a funeral passed he would stand rigidly to attention as it passed, my dad was not the only one to do this at that time during the 50s and 60s.
The second, was the apparently proposed de-Britishing of the BBC Prom concerts.
The third, has been the alleged appalling behaviour of some (hopefully small minority) of the inhabitants of Peterborough towards members of the Royal Air Force stationed in nearby RAF Wittering.
Sorry to be so formal this week, something a bit more amusing next Saturday, but I wonder how you view these?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
57 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Saturday morning talking point 3: Traditions.

I am sorry to say but words fail me.
Is this really what we are coming to where we show little or no respect for other people and the historic traditions of this country.
I am old enough to remember when you stopped and removed your hat when a funeral procession passed.
With respect to the comment about the Proms I am afraid this is typical of the two faced politicians we have - on a previous occasion she actually said how wonderful the proms were.
jmd
Grafter

1.I was brought up to believe that you showed respect to funeral corteges [I think that is the right word] and would follow quietly if I was in that situation.  People do not respect others in the same way today as they did even 20 years ago.
2.  The Proms are are a British Institution - or Tradition.
3.  I think the behaviour of people towards members of the Armed Forces is disgusting.  Again it is lack of respect for what people choose to do.
I worked in a Jobcentre for nearly 29 years and retired 13 mths ago.  When I started there[1978] was a very large number of people out of work but they still respected the staff members they dealt with and I had thank you letters when I obtained work for people.  When I left, claimants treated the staff like the furniture, we were regularly verbally abused and we had to sit there and accept that. Angry  The change came about when Benefits were dealt with by us instead of just job-broking and we seen as the blockage to folk getting money that they felt was their right [ignoring any need to comply with conditions!].  There were those too who were thankful for the help they received, those who were upset because their "job for life" had gone and those who just behaved well.  Unfortunately the ones who lacked respect for staff and other folk were in the majority.  I was glad to retire.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I think this thread should be re-named......  Golden Oldies, remember the "Good Old Days"..... When people treated people how they expected them to treat themselves......
Or    to put it into "biblical" terms.....
"Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you"..
And I`m not particularly religious....
jmd
Grafter

Smiley  I think we should have a Forum specially for the Golden Oldies........................... never mind a thread! Roll eyes
Community Veteran

My clothes are getting so old, any threads will be much appreciated  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Roll eyes
jmd
Grafter

I thought you were taught in the Navy how to repair and maintain your clothing/uniform so that it lasted for ever? Wink
Community Veteran

That`s right, but my uniform was issued nearly 50 years ago, so some bits are getting a bit thin now ! ! !....
Seriously though..... (well not really) we used to be issued with a sort of toolkit, in a cloth roll..... cottons various colours..... black and white...... needles.... three sizes..... and a pair of scissors.... altogether this little item was part of the kit muster, and was called a "housewife" .. Roll eyes
jmd
Grafter

Did they think that was all you needed to be a housewife then? Huh
Community Veteran

Well, It was in 1960, and things were only just coming out of the doldrums, Housewife stayed at home, and mended clothes, while husband went out to work, and earned the money........contrary to popular myth, the "SWINGING SIXTIES" didn`t start until late `65, or early `66...... now I am that age, I am wondering if I missed it ! !..
jmd
Grafter

Swinging Sixties - great time!
Every year on Bank Holiday Monday in Urmston there was the Annual Show - a tradition.  The evening was entertainment.  Well in 1963 they booked this unknown group from Liverpool.  The week before they appeared they had there first number one.  It was the Beatles! So my friends and I went and could not get near the stage as there were all these other girls who had come from miles around.  All I could see of them was the top of their heads!! Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: jmd
Smiley  I think we should have a Forum specially for the Golden Oldies........................... never mind a thread! Roll eyes

A suggestion for this (or something very close) was made a few weeks ago during a post about the age groups of posters.
Perhaps if we had a poll to see if we'd really like one... Wink
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

We had a discussion about a poll too..... If I remember, were going to have a meeting  in a pole dancing club to hold a poll to see if we needed to have a meeting about having a poll to decide whether we ...... now what was I talking about  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin Cheesy Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy Grin  Grin
jmd
Grafter

shutter - if you dont know what you were talking about how do you expect others to know what you were talking about but if you want to get back on topic it is about "Traditions" Tongue
N/A

How right you are petlew - I am appalled by this behaviour.  However, it is a symptom of today - everything to be done at breakneck speed and no respect.  We can't be the arbiter of anyone else's behaviour but only try to better our own and lead by example.
With all the heavy traffic around, we all know the frustrations of being held up but this is not on.  I know that folk are under pressure but really, what's the rush? Sometimes I despair!  (And yes, I am glad to be  a 'golden oldie').
Cry