cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saturday morning conundrum 2: Are Skoda's any good?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Saturday morning conundrum 2: Are Skoda's any good?

Rumor has it that, Skoda cars have moved away from their traditional image of ultimate utility, and are fitting non-essentials for happy motoring such as; heaters, passenger side windscreen wipers, seats for passengers to sit on rather than crouch on the wheel arches, and many other creature comforts. I’m told that some are even fitted with outside mirrors nowadays!!
Can this be true?
At a period of extreme poverty quite a few years ago, I owned a Lada Riva, which was written off in a collision with an old Skoda, the Skoda just bounced off and was driven away with hardly a scratch, the not much loved Lada was reduced to a heap of rubble. 
Seriously, a few years ago Skoda cars were something of a joke, indeed their advertising company cashed in on this and used a lot of Skoda jokes in their campaigns. Does anybody remember any of these?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
16 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Saturday morning conundrum 2: Are Skoda's any good?

Do they still have push bars on the Back  Tongue
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Petlew!    Angry   Sad   Shocked   Cool   Huh   Cry   Cry   Cry  Cry  
I think you are getting at me ............ you know I drive a skoda..... I used to be a Triumph Herald/Vitesse 2ltr Owner, and thought they were the best car in the world..... still think they are pretty good..... BUT having owned this Skoda Fabia 1.9 nSDI classic 5 door hatch for 4 yrs and done 60,000 miles in it, I can say, I am  pleased with it..... It has none of the original refinements you mentioned to start with,  (it is theup to date version)   but my next car will be another Skoda...   Happiness is driving a Skoda diesel and getting 66 miles per gallon..... Roll eyes Grin Wink Grin Grin Grin
No pierre they do not have push bars on the back..... Angry Sad
pierre_pierre
Grafter

was that the one with the Chinese eyes and loads of rust?
http://club.triumph.org.uk/photos/
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Oui! pierrre............ I bought my 2lt for £85 after selling my 1200 (bought for £130.00 ,  14 years before) for £100..... had the 2ltr for 5 years and sold it for £250.00 with a duff differential and blown exhaust..... told the guy it was the "sports" version ! !  Grin  Grin   Grin 
OOOoops ........ sorry petlew..... we gone off topic here.....
Community Veteran

Oh shutter, you misjudge me. Now would I do such a thing?Huh
The truth is, I drive a 2.0 Mondeo Ghia automatic, with which I'm very happy, but if I was looking to change it (and I'm not at this time) top of my list would be a Skoda...especially if it was made out of layers of cake and jelly.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I think they're basically VWs with Skoda badges on these days... I've certainly not heard anything bad about them.
mcgurka
Grafter

They sure seem to be OK cars, but its the personal that surrounds them of being a useless pile of crap, same as Lidl and Aldi etc.. they are all good!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

A few years ago a lot of taxi drivers switched to them as the 3 year unlimited mileage warranty didn't exclude them. Talking to various drivers after a couple of years (usually travel to Heathrow on company business) they hadn't had any problem despite a very high mileage
Community Veteran

Over the last few years owned 3 Skodas and was overall pleased with them. The first was a Felicia Estate, followed by a Fabia Hatch and then this was replaced with a Fabia Estate. The one slight gripe I had about the last one was that I found that the 1.4 engine was under powered for the weight of car when compared to the Fabia Hatch which it replaced. I only moved away from Skoda because I did not like the attitude of the local dealer, rather than the cars.
I have also owned a Lada Niva. It was one of the first ones in the country and the importers had converted it to r/hand drive, whilst the majority were l/hand drive. This was definitely a no thrills vehicle, but tough as boots. Eventually had to sell it because I was doing a lot more road mileage and it only did 20mpg! Used to get a lot of stick from Land Rover drivers but with coil springs all round and brilliant departure angles it was excellent off-road.
Community Veteran

During visits to New Zealand I nearly always pick up a copy of "The Dog & Lemon Guide" which reviews most of the worlds cars (bit like Which, but runs to over 900 pages) Most of it's content would never get past the legal profession here...tells it like it is!! James May (top Gear) is an occasional contributor. It absolutely slays most European cars, hates French cars with a vengeance, saves it's greatest venom for anything made by Citroen. The only European manufacturer it almost likes is ...Skoda.
What does it like?...mostly Japanese cars. deadly boring, but very reliable.
Google: dog and lemon guide   

nadger
Rising Star

I had a Lada Riva 1300 estate towards end of the 80s.
Died valiantly, with 170,000 miles on clock, when an out of control Transit van hit me head on in a very narrow country lane. The Lada was a write-off and so was the year old Transit - chap lost it in the wet in a corner and slid down hill at 45 degrees until he hit me - I was stationary by then with no where to go.
I think I knew all the Lada/Skoda jokes that flew around in those days. Grin
Strangely the old rear engined Skoda used to win it's class in the RAC Rally.
Considering the amount of VW engineering that goes into the current Skodas and Seats they are no longer a joke.
Mind you I'm a KIA owner so what do I know  Wink
brad
Grafter

VW has spent so much money and effort trying to change the Skoda name when in my opinion would have been easier just to name the new models something else. There is still this old thinking about Skodas being poor cars and I don't think that will change in a hurry, despite them being good cars now.
mcgurka
Grafter

No, it wont, but I would be cautious that the next model of skoda will just adopt the same background as the fist one.. and why did the quote censor kick in earlier, i didnt even say anything nasty!!
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
A few years ago a lot of taxi drivers switched to them

Not only taxies, I was nicked for speeding on the M3 a couple of years ago, by a very pleasant pair of plod, driving a Skoda (sporty version of the Octavia I think) they said they loved it. My only gripe; it was 07:30 on a Sunday morning and a deserted M3 (that long two lane downhill section near Winchester, if anybody knows it) only two cars around, me and the plod car (er! 92mph 3 points and £60)