cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Satellite decoder for european channels

community
Grafter

Satellite decoder for european channels

I have been watching the european (mainly german) channels for 20 years on an anlaogue dish pointing roughly to the southeast with great picture quality and using a 2nd hand Nokia SAT1800IRD Model5957 Video Plus. Wink
Alas, the quality has now waned so that I get some excellent quality on the major channels, like ARD,ZDF,RTL SAT1 etc, whereas other channels show a lot of interference in the form of horizontal line streaks.
Therefore I am now looking to replace the decoder.
Has anyone any experience of this?
Remember that my dish is analogue and I don't want to replace it if possible.
But I hope that a newer decoder will get rid of the streaks.

P.S. I know nothing about SKY but I see that my dish is pointing in the direction which my neighbours' SKY dishes are facing.
Does this perhaps mean that I can use, in some way, a SKY dish to pick up the european channels?
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Satellite decoder for european channels

I too had a Nokia SAT1800 for some time - but Nokia sold  the TV business several years ago.
The dish isn't analogue - it's just a dish - and it matters not - it just reflects the radio energy onto the receiver head.
The alignment of the dish needs to be quite precise - you can't tell just by looking at it and your neighbours Sky dish.
Regarding receivers/decoders I don't have recent experience, but I suggest you look out for What Satellite magazine in the newsagents.
and of course many websites
http://blog.wotsat.com/

pierre_pierre
Grafter

The German analogue channels are broadcast from Astra 1F/H/1KR/1M at 19.2E  plus Astra 1E/1G/3G at 23.5Eand are likely to be turned off soon.  the Digital channels are on Astra A-D and Eurobird at 28.5/28.2
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SES_Astra  and http://www.lyngsat.com/europe.html
pierre_pierre
Grafter

The LNB has a finite life and is easy to change, cost from £10, the dish - who knows?,  the next What Satallite & Digital TV mag which has all the free channels listed and lots of other useful add and article is due out on Sept 3rd
community
Grafter

Thanks
You beat me to the thread.
I was going to reply with a further question re LNB's
My LNB is analogue (not the dish as I said before)
Are the LNB's both digtal and analogue?
Therefore, I assume , you are saying that I can change the existing LNB for a Digital one?
To me, the dish looks perfectly ok, although many years and two locations in its life.
BTW, I surfed around and found theTechwatch.co.uk forum and started up a thread.
I bought one of the What Satellite TV and Digitial mags 5 years ago, which cost me £3.99 then...I suppose I could stretch to
another investment now  Roll eyes
cheers
Community Veteran

The dish, LNB and cables to the STB are analog, it is the box itself which takes that signal and decodes a digital image/signal.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
pierre_pierre
Grafter

well it costs £4.30 now
have a look at Maplin range, http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=lnb%27s&menul1=160]
N/A

I am reliably informed that you want a Technomate TM5400, an 80cm dish and a 0.3LNB and an Horizon to Horizon stab motor.
Also needed is good quality satellite cable. The best dish is a 78CM Triax dish.
This will motorize the system and you will be able to get 13, 16, 19.2 28.2 degrees east.
It will go through 32 satellites with free to air channels on most satellites.
Don't worry - I have not suddenly developed expertise in this field!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

try this link to the mag http://blog.wotsat.com/page/whatsat  they even have a link to Analogue TV channels
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Quote from the current magazine, the German channels on Analogue will probably be here for at least two years because of the large number of analogue receivers in Germany, But all current Analogue channels are also available as free to air Digitaal plus a lot more.
A new digital receiver can be had for £50 
Germany are also starting to put out a lot of HD channels, so an expensive upgrade is also possible
community
Grafter

Quote from: poppy
I am reliably informed that you want a Technomate TM5400, an 80cm dish and a 0.3LNB and an Horizon to Horizon stab motor.
Also needed is good quality satellite cable. The best dish is a 78CM Triax dish.
This will motorize the system and you will be able to get 13, 16, 19.2 28.2 degrees east.
It will go through 32 satellites with free to air channels on most satellites.
Don't worry - I have not suddenly developed expertise in this field!

Thanks a bunch...you may not have developed expertise but you certainly know how to scare me to death with all this that I need  Cry
Looks a sif I should wait for father christmas. Wink
N/A

Panic not community - IMO it's not what you need but what is available for those who are keen enough.
As Pierre says (and we all know), analogue is going off at some time in the near future.
Personally, I couldn't be bothered as I don't even watch the terrestrial channels very much.
If you reside in the fairly near environs of Plusnet Towers I can let you have the details of satellite suppliers/retailers who are reasonable in price and helpful in giving advice.
community
Grafter

Thanks for your offer Poppy
I live in Rotherham.
Do you have info on the non-cowboy installers  Wink ?
N/A

Will do!
community
Grafter

Quote from: poppy

If you reside in the fairly near environs of Plusnet Towers I can let you have the details of satellite suppliers/retailers who are reasonable in price and helpful in giving advice.

Any info as yet please?