cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Satellite TV Question

Fixes: 47

Satellite TV Question

My Daughter's flat has a Satellite dish outside and a cable in the living room.
Can she purchase this for example.
Plug it into her TV and receive Free to Air channels with no problems.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
9 REPLIES
jmd
Grafter

Re: Satellite TV Question

I happened to find that on web  and wondered if I could actually use it - I have a dish outside and wiring................. so I would be pleased to learn what anyone thinks too!
mcgurka
Grafter

OK, im going to say in theory, yes... it may require some repositioning of dishes (maplin metions 19.8 east, if its a sky dish, its probably set to 28.2 east to work. I dont know enough to give a difinetive answer, but im 85% its a yes.
pcoventry
Grafter

Hi Dick,
Sky do a freesat set for £75 which is a one off payment to 150 + channels. I am not sure if they install it though.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you have two choices, A pay Rupert Murdoch about £150 for a Sky box that just recieves freesat, that includes channel 4 and 5
2 got to say Maplins, Lidle or Aldi and buy a fresat reciever for appro £35 to £70, at this moment it  wont receive Chan 4 or five, it is probably never going to get 5 as that belong to Robert
If you take the secong route you have a choice of at least 1000 programs, all the regional BBC and ITV regions, Al Jezera, French German Shopping, you name it but not Roberts, you can get Men & Motors on fresat, but not on Roberts, he wants his pound of flesh
if you go can find a copy of What Sat  magazine (thats not the full name) has a rather large listing of Freesat channels.
28. 2 is the Astra 2d sat, most are on that, the one at 19 is hardly used now,  are you sure of £75 I think not
I have the portable in a box set with dish etc 12V/240 but at this time is on a fixed dish
Fixes: 47

Quote from: Pete
Hi Dick,
Sky do a freesat set for £75 which is a one off payment to 150 + channels. I am not sure if they install it though.

Hi Pete
£35 is better than £75 and all she really wants at the moment is what's on Freeview.
Installing a receiver is kids stuff anyway Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

main plug, antena plug, auto tune then the hard bit get rid of all the channels you dont want
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

That sounds like an interesting idea, Strat, as we have a redundant sky dish on our chimney..... I know there are loads of satellite tv channels just waiting to be picked up, but I have not really got that interested in it.  Would be interested to know if you/your  Daughter goes that way, and let us know the results... Smiley
jnwright
Grafter

The free-to-view satellite tv and radio channels are listed with their parameters at Lyngsat.  All those with an F in the Video Encryption column are receivable on a receiver without a viewing card.  They do change the parameters occasionally and you have to search/re-program the receiver to get them back!  A Sky box will find them when they move because they are automatically updated by the electronic programme guide which is a Sky proprietry item only available on a Sky box.
The dish on the chimney may be an old one pointing to Astra 19.2E which was used when Sky used analogue transmission in which case it will get mostly German free-to-view digital channels now (and the German analogue channels on an analogue receiver).  To get Astra 28.2E it would have to be moved a few degrees east and the elevation lowered a degree or two.  Usually the Sky Digital dishes are elliptical whereas the old analogue dishes were usually round.
You can get a freesat card (£20) to view the Sky freesat channels (including Channel 4 and 5) from Sky or from a dealer who will order it on your behalf such as this one.  Sky would like to sell you the box but these are available cheaper second-hand!  Otherwise a cheap receiver without a card will just get the free-to-view channels.
A helpful site when setting or checking the positioning of the dish can be found at Satsig as 19.2E and 28.2E are the positions above the equator, not the angle to point the dish!  Just select the satellite and navigate to your location on the map.
I have an horizon to horizon motorised dish coupled to a satellite receiver card in my computer.  The motor and dish were set up and I can receive hundreds of channels, probably thousands but I haven't programmed them all, let alone understood all of the languages!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just got a flyer from Maplins with lots of different Sat Kits
the one I have  is Suitcase kit £69.99
a receiver with card slot for setanta ets £39.99 Omega 2 embeded FTA
Satellite Finder (meter) to align the dish £9.99
sat finder - beeper £5.99
I have the meter, I find that it is far easier to align as you just twwek the dish until you get the highest signal