cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SatNav suggestions

madjbright
Grafter

SatNav suggestions

I have never felt the need for a SatNav before but this summer I am taking the car to France for a couple of weeks and would be out of my navigational comfort zone.So does anyone have a suggestion for a SatNav that covers Europe (or at least France) as well as the UK, which does not cost an arm and a leg and which does the job?
48 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: SatNav suggestions

Have you a mobile phone like the Nokia N95 that has maps. If so then you can just subscribe for a month. If not look at the TomTom's
pierre_pierre
Grafter

there are several in the £70 to £100 range, I have a Navman that cost me £80 brand new and it had a Traffic Monitor, recommend diversions because of traffic, working off RDS radio
For write ups from a non seller see http://www.pocketgpsworld.com
Community Veteran

I have a Garmin Nuvi 300 which I am pleased with.  I got it from Amazon when they were doing a special offer at £45.
Most Sat Navs come loaded with maps for UK and ROI.  If you want European or US maps you have to download these and there is a charge.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Agree with pierre, I use a Navman (S50 with T2 traffic cradle) and very good it is too. Only complaint is that it is very untidy in the car, with the power cable to cig lighter and the aerial for the T2 draped on top of dashboard and rubber suckered to windscreen.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

When I first started using the traffic cradle, I jumped to the conclusion it was faulty as nothing seemed to happen. Was rather expecting a continuous stream of traffic avoidance reports and route alterations -and had a lengthy exchange of views with Navman as well!!- However it doesn't quite work like that, its actually rather cleverer than that, only reporting problems on your route (if set that way) if there are any, but doesn't report NO traffic problems if you see what I mean. Although it is possible to get a no problem report, but you need to search for it.
In spite there is an option to select any local radio station broadcasting traffic reports, in practice it only selects Classic FM (or at least its the only one I've ever seen offered)
However the traffic option DOES work, and quite well, recently finding an alternative route round some road works.
The only thing I would like to see is the warning for a problem stay on screen longer, the seven seconds or so is no way long enough. From the warning it is necessary to switch to another screen to get the full details of an obstruction.
A question for Sat Nav experts please, My safety camera free starter will expire shortly. Will those already in the system remain to view, not updated for new one's. Put another way will a subscription only add new safety cameras. Or will cameras disappear from my Navman altogether?
Can you recommend a good alternative to Navman's own safety camera update's, as I believe there are others available?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I spoke to Garmin (they also make Navman I believe).  They were extremely helpful.  Gave me a free camera update and then said they would remain with me if I didn't subscribe to this option again.
N/A

My friend bought a Garmin last year and we found it quite easy to use. Also, it is very easy to update so would agree with previous comments about this make.
Community Veteran

you can rent one for about £1/day.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Fixes: 47

Tom Tom is the 'safe bet' but not necessarily the best for a particular need.
I have heard that it is possible to buy a cheap unit such as a Navigo and load a different package onto it complete with maps of most areas of the world.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re Safety cameras and NavMan.  The resident cameras stay on the Machine, But out of date, I get the Pocketgps ones, they are updated normally once a week on Wednedays and live alongside the Navman Ones,  you select from the preferences the ones you want to take notice of.
The data bases on PocketGps cover a lot of the world for one fee
The Official PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database

12 months unlimited speed camera warning updates for only £16.99
That's less than 5p per day!
owlguard
Grafter

Smiley
    Hi poppy,i use a garmin 360t,i love it but there is an offering on the 250 garmin at halfords at the moment,less than £100,uk,ireland,europe in it.Halfords will give you a run through it and as they discribe it,fit it ,check it.e.t.c.e.t.c.I will say that tom tom,have not got a good name when you need backup,garmin have there uk and european service centre at southampton,they are very kind and good normally,ive had very good service from them.The freephone number is/0808 238 0000.They dont sell satnavs so you wont get sales speel,just maybe a bit of advice that may help you decide,then buy what you want after that, from wherever you want.

regards ray.

Community Veteran

I can back up what owlguard has said about the service you'll get from Garmin.  Very helpful people.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Garmin are good, Navman, no problem with the Maps, but their sevice - based at Gatwick via Mio, is a bit flacky,  Navigo, looking at the frums is a dodgy Chinese one with cobbled Win CE
madjbright
Grafter

Thanks for all of the replies. I decided upon the Navman S70 3D with this deal from Amazon.