cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SatNav question

Fixes: 125

SatNav question

Thinking of getting one of these for SWMBO.
She's not very good at directions at all or getting postcodes.
If she was to enter something like Tesco, Canterbury or Argos, Westwood would it be able to get a route or would she at least need a road name?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

25 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: SatNav question

Have one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-GO-LIVE-820-Countries/dp/B0056G467Q
Slightly more expensive, but with the advantage of live traffic reports. Constant stream of updates. Some sellers (I got it when I bought mine) offer free lifetime map updates.
Recommended.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

You haven't actually answered the question:
Quote from: Mav
If she was to enter something like Tesco, Canterbury or Argos, Westwood would it be able to get a route or would she at least need a road name?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)

Above my budget, sadly.
The one I linked to does have lifetime maps and Halfords are offering an extra 10% off everything between noon and 14:00 today so as we were thinking of getting one anyway may as well take advantage of the extra discount.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I have a tomtom go 1000, great bit of kit, the battery died after just 12 months though.
you can tell this the destination if you like Smiley speak clearly where you wish to go, however i would advise you check just to make sure it didn't think you said moscow instead
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Ooop's sorry I was distracted.
You can't as far as I know actually input say Tesco, but you have POI's (points of interest) which will include a listing of local supermarkets, from there you can select it, you can then save it as a Favourite for future use.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.

Thanks for that.
We'll experiment once we pick it up tomorrow.
I think SWMBO will just have to learn how to obtain post codes Wink

WTF
Grafter

Doesn't her phone have Google Maps?
That works fine for me.  She would need a plan that included some mobile data, of course.
Community Veteran

Smartphone would be my choice.

She's not exactly tech savvy with regard to her Galaxy S3.
I think getting lost a few times when out on her own will encourage her to learn more Cheesy
I've already suggested she leave a few days' meals ready for when she does start going out on her own Wink

Fixes: 47

I have Google Maps on my S3 and if I put in Tesco is shows me a list of nearby stores and I just pick one.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Also may be worth trying Tom Tom Places (as it's free) - Looks to be just what you're after?
http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/your-drive/smartphone-navigation/android/tomtom-places-app-andr...
I haven't tried it, but I do use the full Tom Tom satnav app on my android phone and have no desire to go back to a separate unit.

Looks useful but, sadly, not compatitple with her S3 or my S4 mini Sad

Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Most of the SATNav's will store previous destinations. Just put all the frequent ones in initially and then she can access those from memory.

Good advice, thanks.
The irony of is it SWMBO wants to go out now to get the SatNav but needs it to go out on her own without getting lost Cheesy
We may go together later.