cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sat nav

ffox
Rising Star

Sat nav

Have recently returned from a trip oop north and came across a situation which threw the sat nav into utter confusion. 

In Newcastle there are several places where one road runs under another (usually the through trunk road and slip roads are on the top with the city roads below).  If you mess up when following the directions and get onto the wrong level the poor old sat nav is completely flummoxed.

I thought the woman who speaks the instructions was going to explode!

10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

Re: Sat nav

I know about SatNavs,

I have an old TomTom which looks and works fine. Trouble is with the internal memory and it only supports standard SD cards (which I believe is a 2Gb limit). I paid £50 for map updates which won't fit nowadays.

TomTom even e-mailed me to say the device is obselete and you need to get another which I realised £50 later.

Bought another with free map updates for life. Nice. Yes of course if I had known then I wouldn't have wasted £50 in the first place.

I'm not a gambiling person, but I wish I had put £50 in a fruit machine. At least when (not if) I lose £50 I would have at least gotten some enjoyment out of it.

beeceegee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@Alex wrote:

Bought another with free map updates for life. Nice.

Of course "for life" is not "your life", but the date when TomTom decide they will no longer support that particular model. The battery on my old TT died before reaching this point, wouldn't even run plugged in. I've stayed with TT (even though my car has a built in Garmin) because I reckon it has the best route calculation and traffic monitor
198kHz
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 11

@ffox wrote:

Grin

Aye, I know just what you mean - hilarious to listen to. It happened to me when going through tunnels under mountains in north Wales.

Remember you are unique - just like everyone else
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Have always used a Garmin sat nav, no idea if they are any better or worse than TT but I have found them to be ok.

There are some good offers on sat navs as I guess more people are using phones as sat navs rather then a dedicated unit.

With the advances in technology you would expect sat navs to be better these days but looking at reviews on Amazon and various other sites there are a number of disappointed users.

Recently updated maps can be 6 to 12 months out of date with recently opened new roads not showing on the map.

Always best to check any long distance journeys on a printed map as some sat navs will take you the shortest route to your destination through various towns and villages whereas if you kept to the motorway and main roads you would arrive at your destination sooner.

198kHz
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 11

I've no experience of other systems, but with the CoPilot Android app, you can choose between shortest or quickest route, and favour/avoid different road types.

Remember you are unique - just like everyone else
ffox
Rising Star

I've got the Bolero sat nav (which used to be the Skoda standard) and my wife has Garmin. 

I prefer the Bolero maps and voice instructions, but the database of post codes doesn't know the ones in isolated areas like the North Pennines. It gives you a choice of 3 routes. Maps can be updated free twice a year.

The Garmin is very much better on Post Codes and gives you the choice of 2 routes.  The route map is very basic and doesn't show much detail off-route.  It's a Kenwood GVN60 which is VW approved and was fitted by the dealer,  You have to buy map updates. The maps can't be updated unless the glove box is removed to access the SD slot.  Recently Garmin stopped supporting this model so map updates aren't available anyway.  Am in dispute with VW regarding this at the moment - no luck so far.

Fixes: 226

@ffox wrote:

Ahhhhhh; so you've now met the missusCheesy

Seriously, though, I rarely use satnav but on the few occasions I do and get to somewhere I recognise I then go my own way. It's quite fun listening to that voice constantly telling me to turn full circle at the roundabout or make a left/right turn. After a few miles I expect it to say "If you're not going to take any notice why not turn me off"Funny

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Infinity
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

My first Sat Nav was a Garmin, now 9 years old, but which gets used when driving to unfamiliar areas, in cars without built in Sat Nav.

Infrequent software updates, but just had a new update this last week.

The map updates are not free anymore, but I have yet to have  problem with 7 year old data....

As for my smartphone based Sat Navs, they work ok, but are generally slower than the Garmin, and other installed Sat Navs, telling me to turn too late on fast roads.

(We have a good friend whose name is Satnam, I keep getting told off for inadvertently calling her Satnav !)

@Infinity wrote:

Driving to see a new Accountant in Manchester yesterday,  Sat Nav on, listening to music.... Loud.

As I started to get onto minor roads, I turned the music down, and noticed there were no audible instructions from the Sat Nav.

Strange !

It is normally there by default.

So I stopped the car, entered the Sat Nav menu, and checked the  audio level... it was fine.

As I was about to go down several minor roads, I really needed the audio prompt, so I didn't have to keep checking the St Nav Screen, with lots of roads on it now...

Still no audio prompts, so I bit the bullet, and rebooted the Sat Nav.

Once rebooted, the prompts were now audible, but in GERMAN !!!

(I know a little German...... his name is Hans.)

Russian, Cantonese or Mandarin, no problem.... American too !

Anyway, after a couple of minutes, the Sat nav reverted back to English !!

Found the accountants OK, on a main road, but the Sat Nav was taking me down a "Shortcut"

At least it wasn't trying to take me to Germany !!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

@Mav

I had a similar thing a few months back.

Was driving down a main road, for some reason it was closed. I had to turn right at a set of lights, because straight on (where Sat Nav was telling me to go was all coned off). No idea why that was but couldn't go down it of course.

Sat Nav kept telling me to turn around when possible, and to do a U turn. So for about a mile and a half it kept saying things like "At the roundabout take the 4th exit", the 4th being a U turn.

There was a diversion sign, so I kept going straight on ignoring Sat Nav. I didn't know the area that well, so just thought carry on. Sat Nav kept moaning to go back. Well of course it is going to try and take me back to the area that is closed.

Just carried straight on, and thinking - "Well the further I go it might calculate a different route - please Sat Nav". Luckily 1 and half miles later there was another diversion sign and it did.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

We have a VOR station on a hill not far from us. It seems to bamboozle the built in GPS in our Audi, but the TomTom we generally use is unaffected. The Audi wants to go in left, left, left, left, circles.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.