cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sat nav

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Sat nav

Not uncommon to see people using mobile phones in remote areas or fell sides, no doubt some use sat nav aps to check where they are but unfortunately they come unstuck, or more accurately stuck once they cannot get a signal or the battery fails thus adding to the work of the mountain rescue services.
48 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Sat nav

That is where the good old fashioned Compass & folded paper map(s) will always be better than electronic version(s)
Community Veteran

sat nav apps or small sat navs you stick to the window are not proper sat navs.
A proper sat nav has a proper navigation computer, is fitted into the car dash and has a proper aerial. If it's a really good one it will also take its speed directly from the vehicles speedo wire and have a gyroscope built in to determine what direction you are turning in and the rate of change. This allows the sat nav to continue tracking your travel even if it looses the signal in a tunnel.
We have one of these fitted into one of our cars and it must be said, despite its age, it's bloomin excellent. Very accurate with a signal and almost just as accurate without.
We also have a TomTom. Sure.. it's more advanced and allows postcode inputs and various other easy to use features but its tracking isn't quite as good and when it looses the signal (which has happened often) it leaves you stuffed!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

Do built in Sat-Navs need to be manually updated and is there an ongoing cost?
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 125

Quote from: 7up
This allows the sat nav to continue tracking your travel even if it looses the signal in a tunnel.

Do you often change direction or make a left/right turn in a tunnel Undecided
Seriously, though, occasionally I have used SWMBO's SatNav to get a quick view of my destination but then still rely on my own in-built system. I prefer to use AA RouteFinder for a good overview of my route if it's to an new destination making a note of the major A roads. Even then I tend to use my eyes on road signs and my sense of direction. Rarely lets me down Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: TORPC
That is where the good old fashioned Compass & folded paper map(s) will always be better than electronic version(s)
Can't argue with that but I have seen paper maps screwed up in a ball on the fell sides, no doubt due to trying to read it in heavy rain and strong wind. Most people use plastic map holders to avoid this or weather proof maps.
Fortunately I know the areas well where I walk but the GPS comes into play if a heavy mist or fog decends and there is no obvious path or track to follow.
Community Veteran

At the risk of stating the obvious the GPS used for walking differs from the one used by motorists as they display completely different information.
Wink Wink

From what I've seen from my daughter and her friends the younger generation simply don't know how to read maps and have no intention of even considering such an old-hat idea. Yet they are completely stumped when their latest gizmo goes belly up  Cheesy
Even my former step-daughters had no idea 20 years ago how to read a map. I learnt mainly from school back in the 60's.
I used to laugh at my parents as my dad relied on my mum's map-reading skills which were pretty good but always complained that she told him which turning to take far too late. From what I understand some SatNavs still do that  Tongue

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

TORPC
Grafter

I heard rumours years ago that the Sat - NAG Nav was invented by a female  Lips are sealed
Not sure if they are / were true as never checked Wink
Community Veteran

Better keep my head down after this but is good map reading not a man thing ?
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
Do built in Sat-Navs need to be manually updated and is there an ongoing cost?

Ours has to be updated with CDs which cost a min of £80 depending on where you buy them. We've never actually bothered as when we got the car it was pretty accurate but that was 5/6 years ago and everything in our local area has changed drastically since then so when it goes back on the road i will get a new CD.
Quote from: Mav
This allows the sat nav to continue tracking your travel even if it looses the signal in a tunnel.

Do you often change direction or make a left/right turn in a tunnel Undecided

No but some tunnels are curved Mav, sometimes you end up behind a hill or in a built up area and loose the signal. With an electronic speedo link and gyroscope to detect the steering rate of change it allows the sat nav to continue tracking the cars theoretical location. When it picks up the signal again it recalibrates its position automatically.
As for maps, sure I'd agree map reading is a skill that is being lost but they're also a pain if you have no passenger to navigate for you (which is in effect the same thing as a sat nav only less accurate). Trying to read a map yourself while driving is dangerous. If I don't have a sat nav I tend to use way points in the forms of towns along the route and then once i get there ask around for the street until i find it.
Truth be told though, sat navs are simply easier to use.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

With my mobile phone and Google Maps installed I often find myself shouting at it to keep up Sad
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
TORPC
Grafter

@Strat
do you find Google maps as slow as the Community forum Wink  Lips are sealed

As for maps, sure I'd agree map reading is a skill that is being lost but they're also a pain if you have no passenger to navigate for you (which is in effect the same thing as a sat nav only less accurate). Trying to read a map yourself while driving is dangerous.
The trick is to get your bearings from looking at the map before you start off Smiley
When SWMBO first came to the UK I used to take for mystery tours of various places. I called them mystery as often we went to places I hadn't been before as it would be nice for both of us to experience them afresh together. After driving in all manner of directions I'd suggest we'd better get back home and simply stated which direction we should travel in and was never wrong - no compass, no SatNav or mobile phone app.
Quote from: gleneagles
Better keep my head down after this but is good map reading not a man thing ?
From my experience I believe that to be fact

Community Veteran

@7up,
£80 for a map cd ? You cannot be serious ?
My car had a map cd which was 5 or 6 years old and a new cd was around  £80.  So for a few pounds more I purchased a Garmin with free map updates for life.
Even if you paid £80 for a cd it is unlikely to be up to date, more like a year or so out of date. There is also the added problem of the unit not being able to read the disk due to very cold tempatures or dirt on the laser head.
Smiley