cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sat nav & map updates

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Sat nav & map updates

Have been using a Garmin Sat Nav for years but with so many new roads opening in the past few years it looks like I will have to consider a new sat nav, the question is, how long before a new road opens does it appear on the sat nav ?

Thought I read somewhere that all the maps are based on the OS maps and it can take some time before they are updated, by some time I mean months.

For a number of years sat navs have been sold with free map updates but mine is so old new maps have to be purchased at £70 each time you wish to update which in my case has been never, new Sat Navs do not cost much more.

Using a phone as a sat nav is a no no for me.

So anyone know the answer to how long before new roads appear on a sat nav ?

12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Sat nav & map updates

The OS is responsible for updating their maps and this includes roads and the restrictions which attach to them. This is done on a continuous basis and is done in collaboration with the Highways Agency. They then release this information to private map producers for use in satnavs, road maps, etc, and this is where the problems start. These private producers can take as long as they want to issue their own updates, so unless you know how your satnav producer performs and how reliable they are, you could be buying out of date "updates". The only way I can see to get a reliable satnav is to look for good user reviews.

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Have you tried Garmin Webupdater ?

It works for my older Garmin SatNav, but only up to 2014 for mine.

There is also Garmin Basecamp, and Garmin Map Manager, all free, but again, may not be totally up to date, but perhaps up to date enough.

Minivanman
Hero

Isn't there a new array of European satellites taking over from the just the American sat nav system and one which is more accurate, or is it already up and running? Been a good while since I used one so I'm sort of out of the loop with 'em

PS. Just thinking (it never takes me long) there must now be an entire generation of drivers that never have had to read a map or indeed know how to - not that it makes much difference as far as Mrs Minivanman is concerned.Wink

With or without a sat nav I can't imagine not having some in the car. Lifetime habit I suppose and back to my days living in London where only a complete fool or a taxi driver would drive anywhere without an A to Z.  

PPS. Here you go, it's the Galileo system, and another three years before it's up and running - so will that make the current clutch of sat navs redundant? I suspect it will.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_(satellite_navigation)

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

All GPS satellites will show your position exactly. However, it's the stuff you have installed on your own equipment that interprets that information in a way that is understandable, so if it's not up to date it could be showing that you are driving through the middle of a field. (Yes, I know!!). And if the road info is way out of date you could find that if you select a route to a particular place it tries to take you on a route that is undrivable (think trucks up alleyways!).

Minivanman
Hero

After putting in the location of the hotel I followed mine faithfully - and ended up on the wrong side of the A6 Autoroute. I was on one side down the dead end of this small road, with the hotel clear as day was on the other. Took me ages and a lot of head scratching miles to work out how to get there. That section of A6 was fairly new back then so obviously my sat nav was not up to date. Crazy2

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Main reason for posting the question is that I have had a few,,'Driving through fields' or 'off road messages' Whilst I was clearly on a new road.

I also wonder if some country lanes that have been there for years have been removed from sat nav data to prevent lorries getting stuck there..

@Infinity

I have an aversion to updating software on cameras, sat nav or similar things as I have known people to 'brick' the item and render it useless due to some bodged update.

That coment does not of course include computers where updates are essential for security etc.

Fixes: 47

gleneagles wrote:

I also wonder if some country lanes that have been there for years have been removed from sat nav data to prevent lorries getting stuck there..

Lorries should be using commercial Sat-Navs which seek to avoid this by requiring the driver to input various dimensions and weights regarding his/her vehicle.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
idonno
Grafter

Haven't seen the need to buy a dedicated sat nav in years. I tend to use Co-pilot or Google Maps on my mobile phone as sat nav. 

Although saying that, when I was a delivery driver and going on to new estates i.e. with unfinished, unnamed roads etc. and having trouble locating the address with the supplied sat nav, I found Google maps came up trumps every time. Very accurate and always seemed bang up to date. Indeed such is the accuracy of the driving instructions now I find there is no need to even have the phone on display.

Infinity
Pro

idonno wrote:

Haven't seen the need to buy a dedicated sat nav in years. I tend to use Co-pilot or Google Maps on my mobile phone as sat nav. 

Occasionally I fire up both to compare.

They are both accurate, but I find the smartphone satnav is just that little bit slower, causing missed turns.

Infinity
Pro

gleneagles wrote:

@Infinity

I have an aversion to updating software on cameras, sat nav or similar things as I have known people to 'brick' the item and render it useless due to some bodged update.

Does this new release not tempt you ?

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/48765/garmin-express#

Garmin Express Version 5.5.1.0:  is your essential tool for managing your Garmin devices. Update maps, golf courses and device software. You can even register your device.

• Update maps
  • Update software
  • Register your device
  • Back up, restore, and transfer favorites
  • Install free voices and vehicles
  • Download product manuals

Community Veteran

Not tempted as I would have to pay £ 70 for a map update.

Might as well buy a new sat nav with free map updates with that money

Fixes: 47

My daughter moved into a property on ****** crescent.

The roadway name was on her house wall as the first property in the row but delivery drivers had difficulty in locating her house as the crescent wasn't a roadway but a path.

Looking on Google maps failed to show the crescent at all so I reported the fault using Google's reporting facility.

Within a couple of days I received an email thanking me for pointing out the missing crescent and advising me that it was now showing on their maps.

I should point out there is a large tree near her house which hides the nameplate when in full leaf.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation