Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sat Navs

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Sat Navs

What will happen to those who use a sat if no agreement is reached with the EU ?

I know the plan is to launch our own sat nav satellite but can the EU block current users access ? If not then why do we need our own system if we have access to the current one ? As I understand it we have made a large contribution to the current system both in terms of skills and money.

Anyone know the answer to the above ?

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Sat Navs

I'm probably wrong but I thought that was all about military use.

As I understand it military use of the satellites is much more accurate than the public satnav access.

I assume that needs special access codes etc which is what would be denied to our forces.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 41

@gleneagles wrote:

What will happen to those who use a sat if no agreement is reached with the EU ?

Anyone know the answer to the above ?

They will have to learn how to read and use maps, to navigate their way to the pub... 

Cheesy The natural "homing instinct" kicks in automatically when pubs close !>! 

Highlighted
Pro

One satellite would be no good, you require at least 3 in line of sight for triangulation.  They are spaced all round the earth so at least 3 can be seen from any location.

The US Global Positioning System has 32 satellites and the European system (Galileo) has 30.  Some of these satellites are spares.  Leaving the EU won't affect our Sat Navs, but a World War probably would because the US and Russian systems have military connections.

Highlighted
Fixes: 478

GPS is owned and operated by the United States government as a national resource. The Department of Defense is the steward of GPS.

I don't think the EU has anything to do with it.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 82.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ffox wrote:

The US Global Positioning System has 32 satellites and the European system (Galileo) has 30.  Some of these satellites are spares.  Leaving the EU won't affect our Sat Navs, but a World War probably would because the US and Russian systems have military connections.

I have no doubt that in the event of war, Governments would rescind access to Satellite communications, including GPS.

This would also be true of ground based telecommunications too.

I can't say too much, but this eventuality has been mentioned in the setting up of Television transmission facilities, and associated telecommunications.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@Anonymous wrote:
I can't say too much,

That would be a first.Smiley

I assume you mean something like "This is an emergency broadcast - Do not fall asleep"

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I believe governments have the ability to turn mobile masts off, and also to prioritse them to take emergency calls if something big happens.

I remember July 7th in London and it took me some effort to make an outgoing call.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Alex wrote:

I remember July 7th in London and it took me some effort to make an outgoing call.

You are quite correct.

Apart from network congestion with everyone trying to use their mobiles.......

The Government can, and would, remove the facility to make & receive Phone calls, and to send Text messages.

They would allow reception only of Text messages OK, to receive Government advice, texts etc.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

Something not mentioned regarding restricting mobile calls from certain masts - it might prevent detonation of further bombs in the vicinity of affected masts which are designed to be triggered by reception of a mobile-phone call.