cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sat Navs - Again.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Sat Navs - Again.

Might be out of date on this but am I correct in thinking the satellites used are American ?
Was there some plan for Europe to have it's own satellite system for navigation and if it did would our current GPS systems be unable to use an European system ?
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Sat Navs - Again.

Yes. Sat navs use GPS which is an all american system and could theoretically disadvantage any country during a time of war by being able to cripple its navigational abilities.
Yes there is a european system planned. I can't remember the name of it (get cretive with google) and the last I heard the japs / chinkys were going to launch their own too. No doubt in true chineese espionage style each of their satellites will be equiped with surveliance equipment and EMP to disrupt neighbouring satellites  Wink
Seriously, the chineese actually have spying schools / academies where only chineese people are allowed in. I was watching a program about it a few months back, very strange nation.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

The US System is simply called "GPS".  The Euro system is Galileo (and satellites are being launched *imminently* I believe).
The Russians had a competing system called GLONASS? and I believe the Chinese system was called Compass.
B.
kmilburn
Grafter

It is soon to enter its “service validation phase”, following the successful launch of the third and fourth satellites in the system.
Fixes: 104

Galileo has just gone in to some operational testing phase with satellites 3 and 4 just gone into orbit, still a few years away from a functional system.
More info here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19933989
Will Moderate For Thanks
CX
Grafter

Quote from: Sprite
Seriously, the chineese actually have spying schools / academies where only chineese people are allowed in.

No wonder several countries ruled out basing their telephone and broadband network around Huawei equipment. We aren't one of them.
Fixes: 47

I did read somewhere that Galileo will have an accuracy down to a metre, an accuracy the US system is capable of but only to the military.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 104

was it not also going to offer some kind of tacking facility too?
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: CX
Quote from: Sprite
Seriously, the chineese actually have spying schools / academies where only chineese people are allowed in.

No wonder several countries ruled out basing their telephone and broadband network around Huawei equipment. We aren't one of them.

A while back they found chineese ICs in USA military helicopters (something that isn't legal over there). To put it bluntly thei electronic engineering is now way advanced than anything else in the world so there is no way of knowing what their chips are truly capable of. Something the americans have clearly thought of and seen as a risk. The UK however think that they can control everything by being the financial hub of the world and that war isn't much of an issue / threat. How foolish is that?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!