Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sat Nav

southken
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Sat Nav

Hi,  I've never had a sat nav before and I'm thinking of getting one.  I would just like quite a basic model, for UK only with the lifetime maps.  I don't know much about the different makes/models and would be grateful for any suggestions.

23 REPLIES 23
dvorak
Fixes: 1,207

Re: Sat Nav

tbh I just use my phone these days.

but swmbo has one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-Start-Lifetime-Resistive-Screen/dp/B01DWN0BL4/ref=sr_1_4
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Mav
Fixes: 433

I agree with @dvorak on this. There are a wealth of apps for both Android and iPhone including Google Maps with regular, free updates. If you want more features you can pay extra but, for me, on the rare occasions I need a Sat Nav I am happy with Google Maps.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

dvorak
Fixes: 1,207

I bought Sygic worldwide lifetime maps on my iPhone for £18 and as I travel a fair bit it's been a bargain!
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
JPN
Rising Star

What sort of things are you thinking of using it for? The 'right' device will depend upon whether you're walking, cycling, driving a car etc.

southken
Rising Star

Thanks for your replies, I'm just going to be using it occasionally for driving to places I'm unfamiliar with.  I didn't think about just using my phone, I've got an android smartphone so maybe that might be the best option.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

I bought a Garmin 50  LMT-D 5 sat nav from an ebay seller... I only use it , like the O.P.  for "unfamiliar places"  where the local knowledge is limited or NIL !..

e.g. going on holiday to a rented cottage, somewhere in Wales... For the most part of the journey, I would plan it using the map book,...  and make notes of the major towns to pass through, and major road numbers, the sat nav would be programmed for the whole journey, but would become "active" for the last few miles, giving out the spoken directions to the actual post code location.

I have found it invaluable.   lifetime updates on the UK maps... gives warnings of fixed and variable speed limit/camera areas, and also gives forward warning of any traffic delays on the planned route, with an option of an alternativer route  being supplied at the touch of the screen.

The one I have got was the "basic" edition at the time ( about 5 yrs ago )... and cost me just under £100  ....

This link to Halfords...

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/branddisplay_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_catego...

Shows several models.... and their prices and specifications ( click on the pics ).

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Completely OT, but my son-in-law had his set for next days journey, when he picked us up last evening from a concert in another town. Quite amusing the continuous redirections. I imagine the lady becoming more ans more exasperated.Crazy

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
southken
Rising Star

Thanks shutter, I'll have a look at that one.

JPN
Rising Star

I'd second using one of the cheaper versions such as Shutter mentions. We used one for many years with success.  I personally prefer the dedicated unit to a 'phone based one. (All our cars now have built in systems).   I'd also suggest always keeping a reasonably up to date road atlas in the car too, particularly on long journeys.   My son used to scoff at the atlas I keep handy, but not so long ago on a long motorway trip, we found both the major route options for us (M1 and M6) were closed for roadworks. Seeing at-a-glance an alternative route is much easier on a large format atlas then fiddling with the menus on a satnav and trying to work out what route it is proposing.   He was impressed at how quickly we could make an informed decision, rather than be led blind by the electronics.

billnotben
Community Veteran

I often buy "bags of junk" for a few quid. That's where I got my first mobile, first satnav from. Current "junk" satnav is a nav n go model. Five inch screen works fine for me. As already said mainly use it when going to a strange area, especially at night, often to pick up another bag of junk.Smiley

One other thing I found the satnav was good for. When travelling to a place you often visit it's nice sometimes to wander off track to little places you wouldn't normally see then instead of doing any back tracking let the satnav do its recalc thing to carry on wiggling towards your original destination.

Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 191

When I go to an unfamiiar place I like to plan my route rather than just leave it to the satnav. I have a Garmin satnav. Garmin also produce a free Windows app called Basecamp. The satnav licence allows you to also download the latest maps onto your computer for use by Basecamp. Your route can then be programmed on the computer using waypoints to keep you on your chosen roads. The journey can then be downloaded to the satnav.

I think that this same process can be done using google maps and some Tom Tom devices.

southken
Rising Star

Thanks  everyone for your replies.  They have given me lots of good advice, I appreciate it.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

I have a couple of Garmin Sat navs, one used for walking which provides completely different information than the other one used in the car.

Both are fairly old but I have had no problems with either but as mentioned by others check out your route on a map before taking notice of your sat nav which may take you on the shortest route but if that's through a lot of small villages and back roads it is much better to take a longer but quicker journey on the motorway or main road.

Not having a smart phone I am unable to compare what apps are like against a dedicated sat nav but I find the lane directions on motorways and main roads very helpful as they are clearly displayed, perhaps the apps do the same thing ?

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

For standalone units, TomTom are supposedly better at routing, but they have removed a lot of functions over the years that were really useful (proximity alerts and icons with POI's being 2 I needed but are not now supported). I believe with thir traffic now, you have to pair a smartphone. Garmin have more functions, such as icons associated with your created POI's and the ability to add PGPSW speed cams and alerts (more up to date than manufacturer supplied ones). the LMT-D  models have built in digital traffic via the charging wire. As I drive 50,000+ per year, traffic is important to me, but none are 100% reliable.

Google maps navigation and Waze are pretty good on phones, but use a lot of battery power. I cannot use Waze for a 400 mile round trip, even with the phone being charged, my battery is almost empty just over half way through (Galaxy S8).