Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sat Nav

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Re: Sat Nav

@gleneagles I find the lane directions on motorways and main roads very helpful as they are clearly displayed, perhaps the apps do the same thing ?

They do indeed, even down to displaying the actual overhead signs. I use Co pilot on the smartphone on longer journeys, but only because I pay extra (£7 or so a year) for the Active traffic. It has come in very handy i.e. when there are accidents ahead etc, re-routing on the fly. At the start it displays a map with 3 selectable routes, along with mileage and expected driving times.

In town, I use Google maps but I don't bother with the screen, the spoken directions are more than enough.

Only problem with All Sat Navs is they do throw wobblies every now and then. The classic, lately for me, was trying to get to the Premier Inn at Slough. Co Pilot took me nigh on there but wanted to take me through a closed off road. Oh well, I thought fire up Google Maps. Nigh on just the same result! That wanted me to keep on going right. Eventually it came down to doing it the old fashion way, read a map and a bit of brain power.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@idonno

Thanks for the info about the app.

As I do not have a smart phone it would be of no use to me but the wife has a smart phone and at the prices mentioned in earlier posts I would not mind giving it a try out.

As previously mentioned I no nothing about smart phones so exactly how does the phone connect ie: Do you have to have some data roaming thing or something similar to be able to use this facility or put another way is it costing you anything other than the cost of the app to use it ?

We are born into history and history is born into us.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@gleneagles & @southken

As previously mentioned I no nothing about smart phones so exactly how does the phone connect ie: Do you have to have some data roaming thing or something similar to be able to use this facility or put another way is it costing you anything other than the cost of the app to use it ?

That is something that Garmin Satnavs do for free.... you don`t pay anything to use it.... it "just works"... Smiley

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 31

I've used the Co Pilot Android app for a few years now - really like it.

Just read that it's currently available for 7 days free trial...

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@shutter wrote:

@gleneagles & @southken

so exactly how does the phone connect

I also have some satnav software on my phone. Hardly use it but it's handy sometimes. It just uses the phones GPS nothing else so no data costs. If anything ever needs updating I'll make sure I'm home on a wifi connection.

Though I suppose depending on what satnav software you're using you would have to check its settings to make sure no mobile data is being used for anything else.

Mav
Fixes: 431

@198kHz wrote:

I've used the Co Pilot Android app for a few years now - really like it.

Just read that it's currently available for 7 days free trial...

I've occasionally used the free version of Co-Pilot. Works well, but am just more used to Google Maps.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@gleneagles wrote:

All phone apps will use data to plot a route and advise of traffic on the route and re- route as necessary. Google maps does have the option of allowing you to download the route over wifi first so you are not using the data on your phone, but it will still advise of traffic if you have that option selected. Most phone contracts and payg bundles now have data included, so if not a heavy user, it should impact too much on how much you use. Travelling in europe now will also mean that you need to have data roaming turned on, but you use the data the same as you would at home.

idonno
Aspiring Champion

@gleneagles so exactly how does the phone connect ie: Do you have to have some data roaming thing or something similar to be able to use this facility or put another way is it costing you anything other than the cost of the app to use it ?

With Co Pilot the maps are pre downloaded, so even if you lose any data connection it still works. For the actual journey it uses GPS for actual positioning, as most, if not all, smartphones have this. That is accurate to a metre or so. For Active traffic (optional extra) that does require a data connection but the amount it uses is fairly small. As mentioned elsewhere, most phones plans come with some data allowance. If I didn't use Active Traffic it would be free after the initial expenditure. I've also used it while walking around.
Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
JayG
Pro

HERE Wego is a free satnav app for Android devices - can be used offline (after downloading the appropriate maps) so a tablet device can be used (as long as it's got GPS.) Good if you haven't got a smartphone, or don't want to use your mobile data, and can get you out of trouble if you want to get home from a location with no mobile signal! 

Works pretty well for me - can't say it's never hiccuped but then I can't say that about Google Maps either.