cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sat Nav question...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Sat Nav question...

As some will know I've recently become attached to a Sat Nav (since upgraded to a Navman S50) enough of that. But I have also acquired the "traffic" (TMC) option. but I'm slightly mystified about what is supposed to happen...as nothing much seems to. In some respects its a bit of a pain as the system uses a new windscreen mount cradle, which is powered from the cigarette lighter, so it can't be "played" with from the comfort of my armchair, the instructions that came with it are vague in the extreme, showing only how the thing is assembled and nothing else.
The problems seems to be found around the radio service, or the lack of it, At switch on the system finds a list of traffic problems, but does not apply them to any chosen route, no alternate routes are offered. No alternate radio stations are offered (other than automatic and Classic FM)
On the assumption the supplied antenna is the problem, does anybody know if its possible to tap into the main car stereo aerial and feed to the Sat Nav?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
19 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Sat Nav question...

the Navman uses the RDS signal mainly from Classic FM for some reason, I have a slightly older Navman than you.  it has an Icon on the bottom LH screen when the TMC is plugged in, mine has a unit in the mount bracket with an external aerial.
The icon when out of range has a red dot, this changes to green when the RDS  locks on.  I have got it to work on the M11, in London and certainly around Glasgow.  When it gets something to work on, it displays a sub menu, click and it gets a regional map with road works, accidents etc.
If one of these events is on your route and you have detours enabled, it will change your route and tell you.  I had it on when trying to navigate Glasgow for the first time, at rush hour, unfortunately when doing 70 up the motorway and it tell you to tek exit 1234, and you are only about 100 metre away not much help.
I now have mine just set to notify, unfortunately, SWMBO  takes time to lock on and misses the message
Hope this helps
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I doubt if the SatNav aerial controls which radio stations it receives..... they will have been pre-set in the software/hardware bit of the gismo....
Best for traffic, is Radio 2..... they give out traffic every half hour about 20 past, and 10 to the hour, and start with Scotland, and work their way down the country,   Always the same format.....
If you know where the main routes run, they are fairly easy to follow..... A1 (M1)  North from London..  A2 (m20) se London etc around the clock face of London.....
pierre_pierre
Grafter

another thing to bear in mind, on my sat nav, not shutters car radio, I have an aerial that is about 6" long, the spec states dont use it on a heated screen, the wires wont let the signal through, my screen elements went up to the top but had a gap at the sides, fitted mine on the drivers side vertically
Fixes: 47

...and of course there is the old chestnut of Sat Nav not working on heat shield windscreens but I believe the Sat Nav manufacturers have worked round that one Undecided
I bought a Navigo wide screen model loaded with Turbodog mapping software and am trying Destinator 7 on it at the moment. Seems the better of the two.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I can assure you that the older Sat Navs did not work, the latest receivers, Probably got this wrong,  "Serc 2" log onto the signal quicker and through windows, I can sit in the middle of my lounge with my latest and get a signal, and also in some motorway  tunnels, but the older ones I have had dont, the take ages to aquire and have to actually see the Sats
I did try the aerial out at the top of the screen behind the rear view, it didnt work, up the side it did

Assurance not necessary Pierre as I quite agree. My Navigo (cheapy) works in the lounge much to my surprise. It even carried on directing me from the comfort of my inside coat pocket the other day Shocked
An older Acer PDA with Sat Nav I have struggles to lock while sitting in the lounge window.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Do you live in a caravan?,  always using your sat nav sat in the lounge,  by the way it is illegal for passengers to be in the caravan whilst on the move Tongue Roll eyes Cool

No...no...Pierre, I was in the car at the time...and before you ask, no my car doesn't have a lounge Roll eyes. The two statements were not that closely related.
But I have had relations in my car...but not those kind Embarrassed
Time for bed said Zebadee...good night all...Zzzzzzzz
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Boing  good night Florence
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat

and of course there is the old chestnut of Sat Nav not working on heat shield windscreens

I do have a heated windscreen as it happens, but I tried routing the supplied antenna (long length of wire, reminds me of my old crystal set) outside the car, but it made no difference.
Since starting this thread, I noticed in the Navman website a passing reference is made to this problem, with a link that leads nowhere. I complained bitterly to their contact address, and they're sending me (free -I think-) an external antenna, If they're prepared to give it away, I wonder why they just don't supply it in the first place. Does this imply that many purchasers of the "traffic" module, simply give up with it?
As an aside; many years ago rear heated screen's were incorporated in to cars as an obligation. I believe this was completely wrong, having  had a heated front screen on all my cars for the last 15 odd years, I strongly believe they should be fitted by law, and to hell with the expence. Its one of the reasons I continue to buy Ford, as they are fitted as standard to most of their range.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Mine is an N20 model, pic of aerial below, looked through your S50 manual but cant find a picture of aerial, take it your have the t2 mount.
Have my receiver set to Auto so should pick up R2, but only ever seen Classic FM
Community Veteran

Yes, thanks pierre, indeed I do have a T2 cradle, but I don't have any other options except auto or Classic FM, and even when Classic is selected I only get one blob in the reception strength scale, and that goes off pretty rapidly, no other radio stations are shown to select from, inside the (or just outside the M25 area) I'd probably pick LBC 97.3 if it was available.
The promised (free) exterior antenna should be here in a day or two, I'll report back then.
PS is it me or is Plusnet in general very slow this morning, no problem with any other web sites? it was Ok when I was posting very early this morning

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Look at service status, one Sheffield server has been flaky since 9 this morning http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1222944844.htm
Community Veteran

(still waiting for antenna) Just in case any other users of sat nav have the problem of not being able to see it in bright sun (if attached to the windscreen) I found this http://www.gps-shades.co.uk/13.html and have ordered one £10.