cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sat Nav query

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Sat Nav query

I Purchased a Garmin Sat nav for the car a few years ago and it includes warnings on speed cameras. Every time you get near to one the thing comes out with a series of loud  "dings".
Is it possible to get rid of this aspect of the Sat Nav as these warnings tend to get on my nerves.
I Can turn the sound down/off  but am then unable to hear voice instructions for directions.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Sat Nav query

I have a NavMan which I understand uses a similar system to the Garmin (confirmation required) that can certainly have the warning sounds switched off. But it can only be done in the PC software by uninstalling the sound files for camera warnings. However in use your satnav may complain about the lack. Anyway, check out the software manual (or download it)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I also use a Garmin and if I'm ever in need of help I phone Garmin.  They are most helpful in dealing with any queries.
itsme
Grafter

If the speed cameras are just a Point of Interest switching the POI will also turn off the audible warnings.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the Garmin update packages are POI files, I have no experience of that one, but it seems different to most others, the package I use does all except Garmin with one data base, the Garmin is a separate file
on my previous sat nave, several different makes, you did in fact switch off the POI you didnt want from the onscreen set up
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
Is it possible to get rid of this aspect of the Sat Nav as these warnings tend to get on my nerves.

In my Garmin nuvi 660 you can turn these off.  Setup (tools) / Proximity Points / Alerts / Change / Alerts - untick what you don't want e.g. Garmin Safety cameras or Custom POIs.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Thanks for that.
Mine is a very old model 510 or something like that. (Lost the Manual)
The Garmin website looks quite good so I have e-mailed them.
Never updated the maps as I think they are £30 or so to update and can still be a year or more out of date.
Nick_Russell
Grafter

You can download manuals here...
https://buy.garmin.com/support/manuals/searchManuals.faces?refresh=true
Choose "On the Road" then "Automotive" then your product, say nuvi 510.
Method to turn off warnings seems to be the same as I indicated above.
Ellis
Grafter

Quote from: Petlew
But it can only be done in the PC software by uninstalling the sound files for camera warnings.

And I expect it is only available for Windows. I bought a Garmin several years ago but returned it when it gave my home position as over a quarter of a mile out.
itsme
Grafter

If you use a Postcode they can be out by this much and more.
When I first got a Sat Nav I used  my house number and road and it was 1.5 miles out. I then tried on 2 friends house and it could not find the roads in the town/city they lived in so find alternatives 100's of miles away.