Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sarnies

TTman
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 1

Sarnies

Had the car radio on absolute radio today (hospital visit not breaking lockdown) and the DJ was saying that you can get all sorts of meat sarnies but dont seem to be able to lamb. Must admit dont  remember ever seeing them, certainly not prepacked.

My favourite sarnies  many years ago was from a small was from a small bakery in Leeds, the choices were cheese,  beef, potted dog or ham. The ham was hand cut from a leg joint and was in a buttered bap (triangular bread cake) for 1s 2d or you could get a large one probably about equiv to 3 baps for 2s 10p. no paper thin ham just thick pieces and if the timing was right and it was the end of the leg big chunks!!!!!

My other fave was from a pub near work...Mucky fat sanies (bread spread with beef dripping wit the gravy from the bottom of the pan and plenty of salt) dont know how I made 73.😎

51 REPLIES 51
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Sarnies

What passes for ham today is like sheets of wet plastic. Not a patch on carved from a home cooked joint.

My current favourite simple sandwich is grated cheese with pepper and salad cream on. Then half a pealed tomato sliced on top with salt and pepper and more salad cream on.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

My favourite, when I was a teenager, was a Leicester Red Cob...  famous throughout Leicester...  thick slices or mounds of grated Red Leicester cheese, with thick splats of butter on each half of the cob... crusty top, of course, if a little bit burnt, even better..

Today`s Leicester Red, is a poor excuse, hardly any taste to it... but it`s still my favourite cheese..

if not available,... I like MARMITE sarnies.... Thick 50/50 sliced bread... thick butter and thick quantitiy of said spread.....

. however, the ASDA or MORRISONS "yeast extract" is much nicer, ( and cheaper) and often MARMITE is OUT OF STOCK     ( for some reason..... bulk buying possibly.... ? ? ? ?  ) Wink

billnotben
Community Veteran

@shutter wrote:

. however, the ASDA or MORRISONS "yeast extract" is much nicer, ( and cheaper)

Just run out of Marmite and I've never noticed Asda yeast extract before. Is it in a similar package? I'll have to keep an eye out for it when I pop into Asda on friday.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Don't ask me why but I cannot bear the thought of a lamb sandwich. As for 'bought' supermarket/garage type sandwiches I avoided meat ones like the plague and since watching a television program on just how they are made - well lets just say they are now history.

Cheese n pickle, egg n cress always go down well but all knocked out of the ball park when it comes to crispy bacon fat free sarnie with a good dollop of brown sauce.

Pet hate apart from lamb while we are here has to be cucumber and nothing but cucumber sandwiches. What's the point? 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@billnotben   Yes, exactly the same dark brown glass jar.... and it tastes a tad nicer ( to me ) .. it`s also a tad thinner in composition, which makes it easier to spread on soft bread !.

Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

I used to sit on a bare table right at the back of the posh school's dining hall along with a couple of others who also couldn't afford to pay for school meals. In my food box was always a banana sarnie......

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Along with banana sandwiches @Champnet that's awful. Mind you, I used spend my dinner money bob on a mega portion of chips!

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@TTman 

What’s potted dog ?

@Minivanman 

Banana sarnie.....I should have been so lucky in those days.....sugar sarnie was what I got....

Moved on since those school days, treat myself these days, cheese and pickle on granary bread....Tuna or beef sarnies are also a favourite.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

Well yes, just a modern take on things as back in my school days at least I don't recall that much fruit of any sort let alone bananas.

Beef is nice but for me only if a bit pink, tender and cut thin.    

As for potted dog that got me as well but found this 

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I'm pretty boring, (don't all say yes at once please!).

I'll have a sarnie but I just get whatever the supermarket has, no I am not creative enough to make one myself.

Usually it will be something like Chicken & Bacon or Ham and Cheese.

There is nowhere near me which prepares them for you, and of couse with the fun and games of what is going on at the moment it will take some time before you find a sandwich shop that makes them while you're there.

Shame, as where I used to work as a student it was quite good.

Still now you've mentioned it, I will go to my local supermarket in a bit.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Home made is best, but supermarket if you really must not forgetting to recycle that all that plastic they come cocooned in.

As for being creative Alex, how creative do you need to be to make an easy tasty cheese n pickle. Really nice is cheese between two slices, marge on each of the outsides, and then fried to crispy brown and until the cheese melts.

Yummy. 

TTman
Seasoned Champion

@gleneagles @Minivanman Yes potted dog is potted meat, My mum came from around Doncaster so maybe thats where  probably got it as mvm link!🤣 

HelloDuck
Pro

In the Midlands Corned Beef is called Corned Dog so very similar

HD 

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@HelloDuck 

And a deep fried hot dog on a stick in the US.

Yuk. 😝