Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung UE32F5000 or an LG 39LN540V?

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

Samsung UE32F5000 or an LG 39LN540V?

I am thinking of replacing my existing 5 yr old hd ready 32 inch tv with this one. Does anyone have this tv if so how do they find the HD picture quality?, the tv will be used mainly for xbox gaming, not bothered about sound quality as i have a sony surround sound system.
If i go for it think i will by from JL and get the 5 yr warranty  
Many Thanks
Mike
Mike
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Samsung UE32F5000 TV - picture quality good?

We have exactly that model and find it superb quality viewing. I frankly wouldn't bother about the HD the picture quality is that good. I have tried numerous HD channels v non-HD and in all honesty fail to see any real difference. To the point that I've dropped my Sky HD subscription element.
In fairness, this is a replacement for the same model (by Amazon) due to a sound fault that developed after Amazon's warranty period expired, but after some negotiation they replaced the set for free.
Otherwise the new one is great with no sign of the sound fault recurring in this one.
Highly recommended.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Petlew, many thanks for your reply Smiley
Regards
Mike
Mike
Fixes: 47

What was the nature of the sound fault Petlew?
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

@ I.T.Works, I see this model is available at Richer Sounds for £276.95 with a 5 year warranty costing £27.85.  How does this compare with JL?  I have used Richer many times and always been pleased with their service.
If their price is better and you want to use JL you can always use Richer's price with JL's never knowingly ......
Superuser
Superuser

Hi artmo, thanks for your post , its £ 289.00 at JL with the 5 yr warranty ,
Makes me wounder how JL can do at at 289.00 with a 5 yr warranty and free delivery, think i will be ordering soon.
Regards
Mike
Mike
Community Veteran

I bought a Samsung LED Smart TV over a year ago and am very pleased with it. I'm not familar with that model but going on Samsung quality, you'll be pleased with it too.
Mike, I assume JL is John Lewis? It you can get to one it's worth going in and having a look. Luckily I work about 15 mins away from the one at Oxford Street, so I popped in and had a look during my lunch break.
Then I ordered it from Richer Sounds for delivery a week later, as they were cheapest. They were very good and had no problems with them.
Superuser
Superuser

Yes JL is John Lewis , unfortunately there is not a store near me, but from what i have read here and elsewhere this TV is the one to go for, for my needs.
Regards
Mike
Mike
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
What was the nature of the sound fault Petlew?

Difficult to describe Strat but I'll have a go, it was a while ago...
The set would sit very happily just working perfectly as usual, when it would suddenly make a loud static crack and would then continue crackling , this would go on intermittently for a couple of hours, then stop as suddenly as it started and all would be well for several weeks or even months before it would happen again.
At first I discounted the TV as the source thinking it was one of the other STB's plugged into it <Sky+ HD, Panasonic DVD HD recorder> with the installation of the Sky+ box it became apparent that the Panasonic box was redundant, so it was exchanged for Samsung DVD player. The noise continued to occur, logically it wasn't the DVD set-up, so attention moved to the Sky box. The next occasion the noise happened by chance I was ready for it (Mrs P told me it happened while I was out sometimes) I switched sources on the TV to Freeview and disconnected the Sky box while the TV remained on, the noise remained.
Now came the problem of getting something done about it. Initially Amazon invoked their warranty and took no interest (much more complicated than that as you might imagine) I then went to Samsung and was immediately surprised at the courteous interest they took in my problem, they couldn't have been more helpful.
In the mean-time the noise and crackling happened again but very much louder, loud enough to frighten Mrs P. if the set was switched off when the fault occurred it would still be there when the set was switched back on maybe the following day.
Although they didn't say so in so many words, I got the impression that Samsung were not entirely unaware of the problem especially as they wanted the serial number and several other marks from the rating plate. Samsung asked me to run several tests and return to factory settings, then assisted me in getting the set replaced by Amazon (as the retailer) by providing information to them.
The new one has never given any indication of this odd fault reoccurring. However I was never given any information at to what was causing it. But I guess some sort of intermittent dry joint in the amplifier section.
Well you did ask.  

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Razer
Grafter

Albeit a different model number, I have since come to being wary of buying Samsung. The TV I bought was great, but after some use (just outside the guarantee period, what a surprise) I have come to find that several of the ports don't seem to have the stamina for extended use. This includes both USB ports and so far one HDMI port. I expect the other to develop a similar fault in due course, but that could take time because it's hardly used. Just make sure you read plenty of reviews from those who've had the set for some time.
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: Alex
Then I ordered it from Richer Sounds for delivery a week later, as they were cheapest. They were very good and had no problems with them.

Did that include a 5 year guarantee? Must admit John Lewis are difficult to beat and I've been glad in the past of that 5 year guarantee in the past as we had a TV that developed a screen band well outside of the manufacturer's guarantee period. John Lewis swapped it out for a brand new TV no questions asked. Ended up with a better TV than the original!
Community Veteran

As I said earlier I've always found Richer good on price and service. They  offer a price match also. Their warranty is charged at 10% of the item value.
MrC
Grafter

Hmm. just checked both sites
Richer:

• UE32F5000:  £276.95 + £27.65 for a 5 yr guarantee.

• UE32F5500:  £349 + £34.90 for a 5 yr guarantee.

Collect from store only so not so attractive from here as it's a 50 mile round trip.
John Lewis:

• UE32F5000: £289 including 5 yr guarantee.

• UE32F5500: £369 including 5 yr guarantee.

Delivered free.
For me the guarantee and free delivery (TVs are big/awkward/heavy) swings it. Might be different if I wasn't fussed about the guarantee and lived closer to a Richer store, or they had a special deal on.
Edit: Just found Richer's delivery info which is free for 4-7 day delivery so that evens it up a tad.
[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rule]
Community Veteran

You say they are heavy...
I was really surprised when these Samsung's were delivered. I was expecting a great weight and got quite a shock when I girded up for the lift and nearly threw it up into the air. Had the box had a central handle (or cardboard cut out type instead of on the ends) I could have easily lifted it with one hand.
Awkward yes, but not heavy.

DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

You can't go wrong buying from either RS or JL. They both have good cs/returns policies.
I always buy my TVs from one or other for that very reason