Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung TV spy!

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Samsung TV spy!

If anyone missed the 6 o clock news, Samsung Voice Control can hear private conversations.
It is recommended not to discuss personal information when using voice control.  The voice is sent to 3rd parties (which is a concern for me as I don't want some company knowing what I'm saying!)
News article for the BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31296188
I'll be disabling the voice control - coincidentally my Samsung TV now has an important update!  Roll eyes
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Samsung TV spy!

I thought the biggest news was that the TV isn't that smart.
Just as well have a trained monkey in the corner with the remote and shout commands at that.
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

To add some balance to the FUD spreading and clickbate headlines most of the media are employing here's AVForums take on it
https://www.avforums.com/news/should-we-care-that-samsung-smart-tvs-are-listening-to-us.11160
Community Veteran

Puts a new meaning to Big Brother Crazy
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

people need to learn to read Eula's,
this is just like the morons moaning there TV's built in camera was spying on them because they having failed to actually read the 72 page EULA were blissfully unaware that the companies providing the various parts of the "smart services" were all collecting data about the users ......
if you don't want a giant spy device in your lounge don't hook it up simples, otherwise quit moaning that you bought some overpriced underpowered all in one pc that's sending and receiving data to remote locations .......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I find it odd that anyone would actually want to listen to hundreds of thousands of random peoples conversations all over the globe. Why would anyone WANT to do that?
Sure, I can understand the security services being eager to get their hands on it but why would anyone else? The world has become a very strange place over the last couple of decades since the internet came about.
That said, is it really just samsung TVs? My phone is samsung and has voice recognition too. When it has no internet, that mysteriously drops dead but as soon as the internet is back it works so clearly thats being sent off elsewhere too.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro

@7up
big business likes to snoop on everything so they can target there advertising accordingly, take google as an example, they record everything a user does all the websites the visit and the companies /people they correspond with and what they correspond about in order to provide more appropriate advertising when that same user is browsing the web or running the desktop search app on whatever device is being used.
now there not sneaky about it its right there in t's &c's of use for there services, its the same reason why android kit is so cheap compared with apple or M$ stuff, sure there are benefits to being snooped on in such a way such as improved voice or gesture recognition but there is a trade off, compare that to apple or Microsoft who collect the biometric data, apple sells the advertising stuff they cant use directly on to other companies whilst M$ only does this when users have installed the bing app(s), M$ seems not to care about snooping on users directly (because they don't have the compute power to do it) and whilst it also collects biometric data from users that explicitly choose to give it to them (you have to change all the default settings to allow them to) there not selling that info just using it to improve their own products.
then look at the difference in how easy it is for 3rd parties to also access that info, any "smart" device is insecure by design and anyone can access it from anywhere in the world so long as they have the right ip/port numbers, I frequently see blocked access requests from all over the world of people trying to access smart devices on my router log (I don't have any such devices so even if they could get through the firewall nothing is there to be found) 
less than 6 months ago there was a "big news story" about illegal access/recording of ip camera's and smart devices with webcams being 24/7 streamed on a Russian website .........
everyone who watches any kind of crime drama knows phones can be seconded to act as personal bugging devices, newer generations can be activated via hidden "push" messages sent OTA without the user getting a call /text or email on the device .......

privacy has been nothing more than an elaborate hoax ever since the internet started, metadata and metric analysis has been conducted since the days of darpa-net (although it was called different things back then) people used to joke that if you were alive the FBI had a file on you back in the 90's, now in the 21'st centaury that's a very real possibility (and probably not just them) but if they do they more than likely had to subpoena the info from the likes of google or facebook etc
in reality the erosion of civil liberties started with the advent of the mobile phone and as tech got easier to produce and smaller /more designer it just became simpler to track/trace everything and everywhere a person went, kids as young as 5 tout smart phones in the playgrounds in school, 3yr olds are considered backwards if they don't have internet access on a kid special tablet or laptop, long gone are the simple days of your shopping habits or your viewing habits not being monitored, a few other chain stores in the US (and probably everywhere else) have been using face recognition to follow customers around the store watching what they look at what they buy and how they interact with others for the last few years then using that info to target specific email promo's or reward options at them
no doubt that practice will be operating here in the UK soon as well
worrying about your whatever device being used to bug your home is irrelevant when every internet connected or wireless device can be used for that exact same purpose..... if its got an flat panel display/touch screen or a speaker on it then it can be used to watch and listen to your every move if someone should wish to use it for that purpose
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Many of the systems which interpret your voice commands, such as Google's Now (Search By Voice), Apple's Siri; digitise your voice and transmit it over the Internet to central processing facilities to work out what you have requested. This is then displayed/ played back to you. No doubt the Samsung system uses the same technique. The systems normally need a trigger phrase, analysed by your own PC to start the recording process which then stops after a silence or time limit.
So in theory the devices are only listening when you tell them to switch on the voice commands, but in practice could be used to spy.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 47

My god we are a suspicious lot us humans Grin
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation