Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Salt

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Salt

The general consensus is that we should all reduce Salt in our Diet.
Certainly that is the advice of my Doctor.
(Apart from some that believe Sugar is worse for us)
There is of course the hidden Salt in many foods, but we rarely eat processed / prepared foods, preferring to cook from scratch.
We are avid readers of Food Composition labels !

I've never been a great fan of salty food, noticing recently that I dislike it even more, but not to the extent I could do without Salt on certain foods !!
I've even gone off my favourite.... Marmite !
We of course use Lo-Salt.
Finding that the proprietary Salt Cellar dispensed too much Lo-Salt, even with a quick motion, I devised a method of supplying less Lo-Salt...
Using a small Plastic Container, actually in this case an unused Specimen Container from the Doctors, I just drilled some very small holes in the top.
Voila..... much reduced Lo-Salt dispensing.
I can only tell it is dispensing Lo-Salt by shaking some onto my hand, it is virtually invisible on food.
Lo-Salt appears to be finer particles than normal Table Salt.

20 REPLIES
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Salt

Daily Mail
Blood pressure too high? Your salty SKIN may be to blame...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2774051/Blood-pressure-high-Your-salty-SKIN-blame.html#ixz...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The potassium in lo-salt has it's own side effects.
We have come across a number of cases where patients with renal diseases use “low salt” substitutes without being aware of its potential life threatening side effects and develop hyperkalemia. These salt substitutes are marketed as low sodium salt, but it is not appropriately highlighted that they contain potassium in higher amounts.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 125

SWMBO smothers her food with salt most of the time whereas I never add any extra - I really don't like my food to have a salty taste.
Most of what we eat is freshly made but, even so, I rarely, if ever bother to read any label regarding salt/fat/sugar content. As long as what I eat is balanced then I feel no cause for concern.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

The only time I add salt to any food is when I get fish and chips at the chip shop and that's a rarity in itself.
I do have salt in the house in a small jar but it never gets opened except to sprinkle some on icy steps in Winter.
So salt is good for my health Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
I do have salt in the house in a small jar but it never gets opened except to sprinkle some on icy steps in Winter.
So salt is good for my health Wink

That's dangerous. Salt is used on ski race courses to harden the surface.
Fixes: 47

Then it's been dangerous for a great many years.
Fortunately I don't ski on my front path Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
nanotm
Pro

we use sea salt when cooking but not as a condiment, our health has never suffered because of this however recently we did start looking at labels of various items and discovered that supposedly "low-salt" contents actually contained higher salt contents than there standard counterpart (same brand) product, worse still that low sodium products were actually more of a health risk than normal sea salt due to the other types of salt being used ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
TORPC
Grafter

I have come across this salting business before
[quote= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpine_skiing]Salting[edit]
Chemicals can be applied to the snow surface in order to harden the course. The most common chemicals used are sodium chloride, calcium chloride, urea, ammonium nitrate, and potassium nitrate. This "salting" is done mostly when the snow is wet and slushy. When a race course is salted, the salt crystals break up into ions. These ions lower the freezing point of the snow, which hardens the surface. This provides a dense layer of snow with a consistent surface throughout the course, making the race more fair for athletes skiing later in the race.
Two important factors that determine whether salt will work are crystal structure and moisture. Crystals that are too sharp will prevent the deep penetration of the salt into the snow. Crystals that are too round lack flat surfaces that can bond tightly to adjacent crystals. The snow also needs to have a moisture content of around 60%. Salting a race course works best when the weather is sunny and warm. Salting may also work when it is raining, since the rain adds moisture to the snow. In general, salt will not harden the snow if it is cloudy and just above freezing.
Salting is typically only done in slalom and giant slalom events. It is important to salt the apex of the turn especially well, because that is the part of the turn when the skier exerts the most pressure on the snow. Speed events (downhill and super giant slalom) have a larger surface area, making salting expensive; the high speeds of these events also make salting potentially dangerous.
nanotm
Pro

doesn't the type of salt used make a difference as to the effect it has though? i remember warnings being posted all over the base when i was in Germany about the requirement to ensure you had the pre packed road treatment sacks from the local stores rather than trying to use the various types of table salt or dishwasher salt because of them not being effective at ice clearing (saying that though the pre packed stuff was a mixture of salt sand and grit) something i also remember seeing in a science class at school
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Wasn't salt a method of payment in Roman times ?
A lot of things have little taste without the addition of Salt.
Smiley
TORPC
Grafter

Was salt the original seller then Tongue
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

No idea if he had a cellar or not.
Embarrassed
Fixes: 125

But he was the 'salt-of-the-earth'.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

TORPC
Grafter

He was a rock, to his neighbouring society Wink