cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Salt with that Sir?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Salt with that Sir?

I live on a hill. This year the residents in the street have clubbed together and bulk purchased 25Kg bags of salt so we can keep the street and pavements (sidewalks in USAspeak) during this winter.
Our local council regard it as a side road, though the rat-runners don't. In the last winter we couldn't use the road for the better part of two weeks, despite that we had several idiots discover the icerink surface too late and crash into cars. Once you get into a 4 wheel gravity powered slide there only thing left is don't panic and a  minor prayer about buying chains/studs next time. It was so bad I used to wear crampons to take the dogs for a walk.
It might be an idea to stock up your own road salt, club together with your Neighbours - B&Q are doing a good deal at the moment buy one get one half price - approx £5.50 per bag.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Salt with that Sir?

Local council here are pretty bad too. We live right outside of a school that is at the bottom of a hill. Do you think they ever gritted the road here? - Never. I was on a bus coming home one day after work while my car was off the road (due to a prang on the ice they didn't grit) and the bus lost it half way down the hill and went into a slide. It didn't hit anything and the driver regained control at the bottom of the hill but yes it was scary. Imagine being on a double decker and sitting upstairs (yes i know they can tilt over 45 degrees before anyone says it but that still wouldn't make you feel any safer at the time of it happening).
I rang the council who said it wasn't a priority route. I pointed out that they had a duty of care due to the school children and motorists who weren't always able to control their cars. Needless to say it then made it up to a low priority route. I've since seen a gritter come down here a whopping 3 times  Cool
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@Sprite its the police that are in charge of road safety, report it to them and they then have to deal with it.  The fact that there have been avoidable incidents with buses near a school makes it a higher priority.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

Disappointing here last year with two weeks plus of persistent ice and snow. Despite this no pavements were gritted and only main roads treated.
When I read that my council was one of those with "surplus" millions to bank in Iceland I wasn't impressed.
I would like to know how they defined this surplus when, what I would consider, basics are left undone.
Community Veteran

I live half way up a hill on the corner of an even steeper cul-de-sac. It's a side road but a rat-run too.
The council do provide grit bins (there's one right outside) for locals to use on the highway/pavements and it mostly works.
Actually gritting lorries are fairly rare except in the most severe weather.
That said this year the bin has sprouted a label reminding that it is for use on the public highway - in recent years certain people were taking it for use on their own private driveways!
And most round here, me included, fit winter tyres on their cars or carry tyre chains/socks. My winter tyres went on last week on one , this week on the other.
Community Veteran

My local authority generally is pretty good.  Like others they prioritise roads that they grit but if you put an acceptable case to them they will try to help but it can take a long time in really bad weather before they get to the lesser roads.
Ellis
Grafter

I live in a cul-de-sac in a rural area, very doubtful if the council will clear  snow. But we have the advantage, next door to me is a road surfacing contractors depot (usually machinery around for snow clearing). Some people would complain about having a depot next door, I look at the advantages. If I want a path laid in the garden they will do it for free. We couldn't have better neighbours.
Community Veteran

Quote from: billnotben
When I read that my council was one of those with "surplus" millions to bank in Iceland I wasn't impressed.
I would like to know how they defined this surplus when, what I would consider, basics are left undone.

This annoys me to. Our local county council also had millions in an icelandic bank (and have since admitted they have other money in other banks) and yet the fail to provide their basic services claiming that they don't have the money for it.
What they don't realise is that it isn't their own personal money. They can't go and buy themselves fast cars with it that they can keep. These are public funds for public services and they're denying us those services on the grounds that they don't have the money even though its sat in the bank.
Community Veteran

Public bodies are required to have significant contingency reserves exactly to cover emergencies and other unforseen events such as extreme weather, disasters and so on.
Community Veteran

YEs but the problem arises when they don't use those reserves to deal with those emergencies - like the salt shortages last year.