cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sainsbury’s Staff Given Targets To Put Themselves Out Of Work

TORPC
Grafter

Sainsbury’s Staff Given Targets To Put Themselves Out Of Work

[quote= http://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/2014/03/27/sainsburys-staff-given-targets-to-put-themselves-out-of-work/]Sainsbury’s workers are forced to live with a daily reminder that many of their jobs are soon to be replaced by self-scan check out machines.  Astonishingly the sign above, stuck on the wall in Sainsbury’s, Lewisham, suggests they are now even given targets to work towards their own unemployment.
The tragedy is that in a world run for people, self-scan tills could be a great invention.  Anything that makes the process of food distribution more efficient would simply mean the workers in that sector could take a well deserved rest. But in a world run for private profit, it means greedy supermarket bosses use new technology as a way to lay off workers and save cash.  They don’t spend that cash on giving the remaining workers a pay rise of course.  They don’t even spend it on cutting the price of food – have you noticed prices falling since self-checkouts were introduced?
24 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Sainsbury’s Staff Given Targets To Put Themselves Out Of Work

I wont use self-scan tills on principle. For one thing they will put people out of work and, they don't pay me to scan!
And, I can't see them passing on the savings to the customers.
The checkout chick represents the store to me. She is the only employee that I see/meet face to face and engage with. How she treats me determines whether I shop there again.
When I was working (Rowntree) we all knew that the customer (shop) only ever saw two people from Rowntree - the rep who took the order, and the driver who delivered it. They are the face of the company and should be the best the company can provide!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

Quote from: TORPC
have you noticed prices falling since self-checkouts were introduced

I'm still waiting to notice price drops from when self service was introduced.
TORPC
Grafter

The thing is these employers know the state that the jobless machines induce & they don't / won't care
It is (put your own word(s) here) you Jack I am alright attitude, that is the main reason people are out of work & suffering
Fixes: 47

I had an incident this morning at Tesco.
I use the 'scan a you shop' system and arrived at the checkout, scanned the bar-code and looked down at the screen.
There was a list of someone else's shopping on screen, they had started the process and walked away.
I moved to another checkout but couldn't start because I had scanned the previous checkout.
It was eventually sorted by the intervention of two assistants.
A local Asda used to have 4 operator checkouts and 2 self service.
They now have 6 self service....4 jobs lost.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Devonian
Grafter

I never have and never will use self scan checkouts.
I give my hard earned money to these companies, if they want it, then they can earn it by providing good service.
I would much rather use local shops, and I do where I can, but it's just not possible for the main shop any more.
Meat wise though, I only use the local butcher, (or Dad.. straight from the farm) Why?
Because the big supermarkets secretly exclusively sell HALAL chicken and Lamb.  Halal is animal abuse that has no place in a civilised society.  And these supermarkets sneaking it into their displays disgusts me, and should be made illegal unless it is clearly signed as such.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

With the number of staff interventions at self scan (unexpected items, age check, weight error etc.) I seem to spend more time interacting with staff at self-service than at a staffed checkout!
Quote from: Strat
They now have 6 self service....4 jobs lost.

As fewer of us are now even going to a store to shop for groceries perhaps some can be redeployed as pickers ... until the work moves from local stores to "dark stores" / "customer fulfillment centres" where the robots once again do a lot of the work.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: NedLudd
I wont use self-scan tills on principle.

+1 however we had this discussion a few weeks back. I'll begrudgingly use them for one or two items if the queue for a normal checkout is long but i prefer the human contact if i'm honest.
I shall be boycotting Sainsburys if this is their way forward.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
TORPC
Grafter

I / we never ship at Sainsburys even though it s the closest & gets packed even, with customers
Community Veteran

Quote from: Devonian
Because the big supermarkets secretly exclusively sell HALAL chicken and Lamb.

Where's your proof of such a statement?
Geoff,
York.
TORPC
Grafter

Someone could be having horse play at us Roll eyes
Fixes: 121

SWMBO and me were talking about trying out the self-scanning at Tesco some time soon.
Not that keen on it myself partly for the reasons above plus I don't trust it to always be correct but thought it worth a go. I'd like to use the service to keep track of spending then pay at the till in the usual way but Tesco's T&C doesn't allow for that. Not sure how they could enforce it, though, unless they refuse the service next time.
I worked at Lewisham Sainsbury's back in the late 70's straight from school while deciding what I really wanted to do. Hated the job and the manager in equal amounts.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

TORPC
Grafter

In my local asda & tescos they have these silly machines that most of the time the customers have to call on a member off to stick the key in & reset or correct / type in the product code as the customers have not got
1. The skills / Training
2. Authority if the have the training if they work(ed) in a different store or Supermarket
3. Keys for each machine
Then there is the damn
"PLEASE PUT BAG IN CHECKING AREA"
I ALREADY DID so STOP REMINDING NAGGING me
PowerLee
Rising Star

I find the self scanning till's handy if I just want to get a pint of milk for work as they allow me to get rid of all my 1p & 2p coins  Grin
Fill the till with copper's, if I don't have enough copper's then ill stick the debit card in to finish transaction  Wink
Fixes: 47

A problem I've had at Tescos is with coupons.
You scan the coupon and drop it in a container through a  slot.
Trouble is if the container is full the coupon won't drop and you can't proceed until it has.
So out comes my debit card which I use to poke the coupon through without losing my card in the process.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation