cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sainsbury’s mocked for ‘Fifty Pence Challenge’ to boost profits

TORPC
Grafter

Sainsbury’s mocked for ‘Fifty Pence Challenge’ to boost profits

[quote= https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/sainsbury-mocked-fifty-pence-challenge-105416491.html]A motivational poster designed for “staff areas” that inadvertently appeared in the window of one of Sainsbury’s east London stores has gone viral on social media

Sainsbury’s was alerted to its mistake by Chris Dodd, a TV freelancer, who spotted the poster in the grocer’s store on Romford Road in Stratford.
He posted a photo of the poster to the supermarket's official Twitter account, @Sainsburys, with the message: “Not sure this is meant to be in your window.”
In response, Ross, an employee in the grocer’s customer services team, said: “Yeah, I don't think so either. Which store was this? I'll give them a call. Ross.”
But Mr Dodd refused to reveal the location of the store, saying he would rather people knew what Sainsbury’s is up to.
Ross subsequently acknowledged the poster was meant for “staff areas”, and was not intended to be seen by the public.
Well

Wait no longer (Here it is)

What inventive ways would you to encourage shoppers to spend an extra 50p on their shopping ?Huh
11 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Sainsbury’s mocked for ‘Fifty Pence Challenge’ to boost profits

Quote from: TORPC
What inventive ways would you to encourage shoppers to spend an extra 50p on their shopping ?Huh

Having polite, informative staff, clean stores, enough tills open so that you were next in line whichever one you went to and no more 'Unauthorised item in the bagging area' messages Wink
Oh, the most obvious way, charge an entrance fee of 50p Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

If I ever used Sainsbury’s it would add a hell of a lot more than 50p to my usual shopping bill.
Community Veteran

It depends how this is done but in principle I don't see anything wrong with this idea.
I don't use WH Smith very often but when I do they always try to sell me a bar of chocolate at checkout.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

oh yes just what every shopper needs to have staff trying to pressure sell them extra's at the till,
wasn't the positioning of sweets and chocolate products at the till supposed to get stopped some time ago as part of measures to tackle obesity ?
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Steve
Pro

My local Tesco has fancy doughnuts when you walk in the place, never bought one though my other half has,  she says they are nice.  But I don't like the thought of paying them to make me fat!! so I will do without. Nerves of steel Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Well I can't complain about sainsburys too much... Done rather well out of them the other day for the cost of a temporary inconvenience.
Got out of the car in the car park and trod straight into a puddle of diesel. Yes dirty disgusting diesel. I got back in the car to move it and my boot stunk the car out in seconds. I went to customer services and grumbled asking for something to clean my boot with as i couldn't have it stinking the car out on my way home. To my surprise they took me to the menswear and told me to pick a pair of shoes!
£25 worth of shoes later, a bag full of rags and cleaner for the car pedals, boots tied up and sealed in carrier bags and a manager coming out with a bag of sand to put over the oil and i left a happy chap as my missus returned with the shopping. She'd got fed up with me taking time, gone to do the shopping and by the time I was sorted out she'd finished  Cheesy Result! Not getting dragged round the supermarket AND a free pair of shoes  Grin
Had to clean the boots and leave them outside for a couple of days but hey.. free pair of shoes!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro

its not the nerves of steel that matter is having a will with the breaking strain of a soggy kitkat that I seem to suffer with, every time I walk past chocolate I like I want to buy it (some of it I don't like, like galaxy which always tastes funny) and others I just cant resist purchasing (like guylian seashells)
problem is they put stuff like that right next to the reduced counter, safe in the knowledge that price savvy shoppers will make a beeline for that part of the store in the hope of finding something they want for less and probably be enticed into also buying the treats as well .......

@sprite
that's a spot of good customer service, quite rare in many places nowadays
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Fixes: 125

@7up Excellent result.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Steve
Pro

Nice bit of luck 7up you must of done something good.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

No.. but the next day i lost out on a brand new volvo xc90 instead  Roll eyes
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Looks like Sainsburys had found a way of making a bit more than 50p.
I Spotted this today in the Cambridge 'local' store. If you want six doughnuts there is a mortgage advisor available.