cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safety Razor Shaving

Steve
Pro

Safety Razor Shaving

Any gents here that use one? I got fed up buying these Gillette fusion blades so I splashed out and bought an Edwin Jagger DE89 ( Made In Sheffield btw ) and some creams, Brush etc. Cant get a baby butt smooth shave but Its only my third attempt today. I'm using derby extra blades till I get the hang of It as Its a whole different technique. Any gents here using one? Have you always used one? Or got caught up In all the marketing hype of these Mach,Fusion,Turbo malarkey like I did ?
My weapon below...
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Safety Razor Shaving

I don't even use razor blades these days unless its an important event.
I just use my knackered electric shaver. It's so knackered the head / foil bit is gone. I now just use the sideburn trimmer to shave off my beard  Cheesy Needless to say I always look a bit unshaven and stubbly lol. The thing only cost £25 when I bought it but there are still many more years left in it lol.
Before anyone slates me, I'm skint.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Only once have I had a "wet shave" and that was done in a old fashioned type barbers shop... can`t remember what the occasion was..... thought it was a lot of fuss about nowt.... always used Philishave rotary shavers... 1, 2 and 3 rotor versions... latest is a rechargable one. had it about 10 years I think, still does a reasonable job,.... dropped it in a bath of hot water a couple of weeks ago, while it was still running, kept running underwater, then I fished it out,.... shook as much water out as possible, left it in a suitable position on the radiator overnight, and it is still working .....
(no it was not plugged into the mains !  ShockedRoll eyes
Razer
Grafter

I'm like Sprite, I buzz, but with clippers. My delicate face (lol) can't take shaving - still. At the moment, however, I have am less 'George Michael' and more 'Ayatollah Khomeini'.
Community Veteran

I use Wilkinson Sword disposable razors, which are fine for me. I would not pay for the fancy Mach turbo razors.
The Edwin Jagger DE89 razor is expensive at £20 but I guess there are longer term savings to be had.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Razer
I'm like Sprite, I buzz, but with clippers. My delicate face (lol) can't take shaving - still. At the moment, however, I have am less 'George Michael' and more 'Ayatollah Khomeini'.

Glad I ain't the only one lol.
Razer
Grafter

Grin Oh, so do you get people looking at you like you're a muslim terrorist cleric, then, and marvel at their confusion when they then notice you're a white European and are wearing jeans and trainers? Grin
pgh13

I joked to someone a while ago that inkjet printers have followed the razor marketing model where they almost give you the razor (or printer) knowing that they'll get you on buying the blades which is why I guess they continue to produce more elaborate razors.
When I was a kid, both my dad and grandad used to use the flat blades and I guess it was a sign of the times that they had a razor blade sharpener to prolong the life of the blades - well; times was 'ard.
Community Veteran

Grin Oh, so do you get people looking at you like you're a muslim terrorist cleric, then, and marvel at their confusion when they then notice you're a white European and are wearing jeans and trainers? Grin

No I just get people thinking I can't be bothered to shave every day cos I always have stubble lol
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

for years I used one of these

Then a few years ago I degenerated to plastic disposable 10 for £1 from boots
Community Veteran

Wet shaving?  Shocked How interesting!  Roll eyes
I'll stick with me Philishave thank you.  Cool
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys

How on earth does that work?  Shocked
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Same principle as Steve_m's wet razor. The 'box' is double sided with fine and course sides.
By 'push/pulling the blade' against the side of the box (kind of flip-flop motion), the blade is sharpened, then detached and added to the 'handle'
The handle is not shown in the picture.
Think I had two blade replacements over a 30 years use.
At an original cost of less than 2 shillings (10p), I sold mine on ebay for around a tenner after 30 years of use.
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: Sprite
No I just get people thinking I can't be bothered to shave every day cos I always have stubble lol

Oh, I see. lol just tell 'em you're a rough 'n' ready man. Grin

What a gem of male punishment. Do you regret selling it?
Community Veteran

Same principle as Steve_m's wet razor. The 'box' is double sided with fine and course sides.
By 'push/pulling the blade' against the side of the box (kind of flip-flop motion), the blade is sharpened, then detached and added to the 'handle'
The handle is not shown in the picture.
Think I had two blade replacements over a 30 years use.
At an original cost of less than 2 shillings (10p), I sold mine on ebay for around a tenner after 30 years of use.

Wow, thats... old skool lol. I looked at it and thought it was a two piece door knocker or something  Cheesy
Quote from: Sprite

Oh, I see. lol just tell 'em you're a rough 'n' ready man. Grin

LOL I'm not even stubbly at the moment, I'm growing it as I'm breaking a car and need to keep warm lol