cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safes

N/A

Safes

Was reading about security on the bank website a few weeks ago and there was something about identity theft.
Thought that a safe might be good for personal papers.
Today there was a piece in the news (Teletext) saying that burglars are chiefly looking for documents these days.
I have a filing cabinet and anyone would be able to find things easily. It has no lock but looking at the ones that do have locks, they would probably be easy to access with a tool of some kind.
Does anyone have any experience of domestic safes and if so, how are they best used?
I am thinking of fixing to the floor, having them out of site and size, weight etc.
8 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Safes

you can get them as small as a foot square, you have to have the door open to get at the fixings, they are also normally fireproof (keep the inserts safe for a couple of hours) they weigh about 15 kg at that size - just going to have a google
pierre_pierre
Grafter

good selection here http://www.safelincs.co.uk/Fire-Safes-for-Paper-and-Valuables/  I got one from Woolies when they were closing £12.49, not located it yet still free standing
Community Veteran

i keep really private papers in amongst rubbish where no-one would think to look.  i reckon a safe's a bit obvious and at 15kg something the baddies could carry out to open at their leisure.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

but it is bolted down from the inside Cool Cool
N/A

Artificer's solution would be OK except that the stuff might get thrown out with the rubbish.
However, it is a lot less obvious than my arrangement.
I reckon that to be of any use you would have to have one that is fitted and fixed to the ground in some way.
A safe is obvious but if it was secured then maybe they wouldn't bother to make work for themselves.
The other thing which is pointed out on Pierre's link is the fire hazard - many of them will withstand a fire for a given period of time so that is really useful.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

You can't really beat a hidden safe tbh. Unusual places are always the best.. OR right under the theifs nose. How many theives are going to look in the food cupboard, or in the chemical cupboard under the sink for a safe containing valuables?
Theres tons of other places too (obviously I'm not going to mention them here) where you can put a safe and bolt it down from the inside. Most obvious places are where burglars wouldn't want to look and I'm sure we can all think of places like that..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: okrzynska
How many theives are going to look in the food cupboard, or in the chemical cupboard under the sink for a safe containing valuables?

Quite a few, if they read this forum ! 
Quote from: okrzynska

Most obvious places are where burglars wouldn't want to look and I'm sure we can all think of places like that..

A black bin bag, underneath your bed, for example?  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

or you could try this