cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safari users win right to sue Google over privacy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Safari users win right to sue Google over privacy

Apologies if this isn't in the best place.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-32083188
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
53 REPLIES
IanSn
Grafter

Re: Safari users win right to sue Google over privacy

Very happy about this decision.
"...no harm was done because the matter was trivial as consumers had not lost out financially."

This was Google's response to their disappointment at the decision.
Tells you all you need to know about Google's point of view.
And that they are incapable of any other view...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

it's really a non-issue.
for those that disagree with google and their business model they can simply stop using any of their FREE services.
they can use Yahoo or Bing or any other search engine. they can use any other free mail service, they can use any other free video sharing platform.
no-one is forced to use any FREE service.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Agree, Personally I use Gmail for my domain email. It hosts my email domain. I don't see any ads appearing in my emails, or even in google search (adblock etc take care of them).
I have tried other search engines but keep returning to google.co.uk
IanSn
Grafter

Remember the film 'Brazil' and those pesky machines? Its like that. It just gets on your nerves, plain and simple.
The notion that you can in some way avoid Google these days is amusing!
But as far as Safari users are concerned there was a deliberate deceit.
The decision against Google was about something.
If being underhanded with your customers is the new normal in business models all the more reason that I'm happy with this outcome. There's such a thing as going too far. As there is with accountability and transparency when you have that much power.
'No cost' (either for payment for services or damage done) is not the arbiter of what's ok and what's not.
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Community Veteran

Quote from: IanSn
The notion that you can in some way avoid Google these days is amusing!

it's actually quite easy to do if you so choose.
Community Veteran

PaleMoon by default uses DuckDuckGo rather than the Firefox default of Google, so there's one alternative for you...
IanSn
Grafter

The point was not me (or you) avoiding Google, but Google being found taking liberties and overreaching themselves. In my view the judgement was correct. That's all.
Yes, I do all these things, and use Ghostery, etc., etc., to block other unwanted stuff. In some cases I even block Google IPs when they get on my nerves.
(Its not just about search engines. Check your firewall log regularly and see how much you can be rid of Google in-and-out of your computer everywhere you go - you can't. You don't care? Fine. Have at it.)

Community Veteran

(Its not just about search engines. Check your firewall log regularly and see how much you can be rid of Google in-and-out of your computer everywhere you go - you can't. You don't care? Fine. Have at it.)

yep, you got it, i don't care.
i could live life with a tin foil hat in a basement. i choose not to worry about such things.
IanSn
Grafter

I know.
Think the thread is about those people who believed they had opted-out of being tracked, and that Google found a sneaky way round it.
Has nothing to do with the folks who don't care about Google's standard practice. They're already signed up for it.
But legally this case went against subterfuge.
Subterfuge (esp in business) is usually thought of as a not good thing.
I'm past caring as well. But i swat flies when they irritate. Google is like too many flies.
Good on the courts. There is such a thing as taking the p
Community Veteran

It makes me wonder, if you're so concerned about whether someone's snooping on your data, what kind of illegal content do you have that you have to hide?  Grin
It's like the people arguing against CCTV cameras, they're there for everyone's protection and safety, yet those few who argue against them usually have something to hide, the same applies to all this google spying on people nonsense, if there's nowt to hide, what's there to worry about?? Cool
IanSn
Grafter

My data is not illegal, its private and personal. And I'll decide what's private and personal.
People who use Safari were told they had a choice and could opt-out of tracking, and were deceived by underhand tactics.
Its a simple matter of principal and decency. Nothing else.
Oh, and illegality, there's that, too.
But as you bring it up - there may be any number of things you might not want public, to keep to yourself, to 'hide' as you put it.
Where your kids are going to be over the weekend.
When you're going on holiday and leaving the house unattended.
The under-wraps business plan
The comment you made about your boss after a few pints.
How much that damn car actually cost.
The fact you've been smoking fags even though you promised the kids you'd given up.
The confidential letters you have from work.
The list goes on and on....
You have to watch what you say online, y'know... everyone knows that  Shocked
So why are you defending bad practice so much?
What's your problem?
Community Veteran

i would say that if deem any of that stuff private and personal then don't put it on a system that is connected to the internet.
Community Veteran

So why are you defending bad practice so much?
What's your problem?

The internet is a big scary place, if you think your data holds the key to all knowledge about you to the point where it could be used against you for purposes unknown to anone outside your head, then I hear Tesco is doing a special offer on thick tinfoil, you might want to check that out... Wink
If you don't like the idea of data about your browsing habits being stored and/or harvested by a company who is based on information gathering, turn off your computer, throw it out the door, and hide under your bed, that or just get over it, nobody really cares about your data unless you're plotting to blow up government buildings or have access to radioactive materials and explosives to make a dirty bomb (or is that the under wraps business plan??)...
As for my "problem", I guess it's that the internet is a risky place, and at the end of the day, risk is part of the game if you want to sit in that chair, and I'm happy to let small things slide on the web, if people really need to know that I picked my nose or bought a pair of trousers on ebay, so be it, I consider that to be a tiny risk that has little to zero consequences... Smiley
At the end of the day, it's not my fault you used a poorly coded, free to obtain and use browser, you have the right to choose what you browse with, and you chose the wrong one... Smiley