cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sadly we can only use £1 coins

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Sadly we can only use £1 coins

A gentleman in the USA (N Carolina) pays a $110 parking ticket in one 'penny' coins. http://edition.cnn.com/2015/07/10/us/parking-fine-pennies/index.html
I've often been tempted to pay my annual annual Rates Council Tax bill in £1 coins.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
30 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Sadly we can only use £1 coins

Theres a limit to the amount of coins a retailer has to accept, if that guy had tried that here that would have applied.  iirc the maximum of 1 and 2p coins any retailer has to take is 20p worth and think larger coins have similar limits.
http://www.royalmint.com/aboutus/policies-and-guidelines/legal-tender-guidelines
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

£1 coins are legal tender for any amount.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Gus
Theres a limit to the amount of coins a retailer has to accept, if that guy had tried that here that would have applied.  iirc the maximum of 1 and 2p coins any retailer has to take is 20p worth and think larger coins have similar limits.
http://www.royalmint.com/aboutus/policies-and-guidelines/legal-tender-guidelines
If you had a £100 in 2p coins could you pay them into a bank/building society or could they also refuse to accept them ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Guess for banks its different, but banks will want them bagged and counted.  Had to do that for my mothers shop, weighing bags of 1 and 2p's every month to cash them in.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Thanks. Smiley
Community Veteran

As ever, the usual confusion reigns regarding "legal tender".  Cry
It has a very strict and limited formal applicability and does not apply to normal commercial transactions.
From the link given above to the Royal Mint:
Legal tender has a very narrow and technical meaning in the settlement of debts. It means that a debtor cannot successfully be sued for non-payment if he pays into court in legal tender. It does not mean that any ordinary transaction has to take place in legal tender or only within the amount denominated by the legislation. Both parties are free to agree to accept any form of payment whether legal tender or otherwise according to their wishes.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Gus

Oh dear.. last time i went to scotland rather a lot of people were using £5 and £10 notes.. I suspect the country must be full of criminals then if we see what the royal mint say as the truth  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro

yeah its a criminal offence to attempt to pay with shrapnel without first obtaining permission from the vendor (shop/pub/club/bus/train/postoffice counter) but there is no similar limit on the larger coins, the law is about the number of people affected by the delay in counting the cash who are inconvenienced though so a lot of places don't even acknowledge it exists although most of the bus drivers round here would rather inconvenience a bus load of people by making them wait 45+ mins for the plod to arrive to arrest said miscreant than spend a minute counting the change and issuing the ticket ...........jobs worth tards at their best

I get my own back by using 5p/10p/20p to pay for my reduced rate fares Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
PowerLee
Rising Star

I find Tesco self service checkouts don't mind being filled up with shrapnel.
Normally I use all the smaller coins I seem to collect in my wallet for a 2 pint of milk for work, I fill the self service checkout up with coins & wait for it to count them as payment  Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: nanotm
yeah its a criminal offence to attempt to pay with shrapnel without first obtaining permission from the vendor (shop/pub/club/bus/train/postoffice counter)

Roll eyes
I've known people be refused to pay more than 20p in 1 and 2 pence coins. The police didn't come along and arrest them for a criminal offence, take them to the police station, charge them, bail them and then put them before a magistrate. It isn't a criminal offence nanotm, it may not be legal tender (the shop for example can refuse to accept it if they so wish) but it isn't going to get you into criminal trouble.
You're thinking that because it's not 'legal' tender that its not legal and thus an offence. Thats not quite the same as not legal in the sense of not legally recognised or accepted.
Most places (the larger companies like supermarkets for instance) aren't so fussy about the small change. They'll just accept it and put it in the till - the employee doesn't usually care as long as they're paid. It's the smaller firms that tend to get fussy about it.
I've also found that self service machines are more than happy to serve far more than 20p in small change - odd considering it's apparently a criminal offence!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Marksfish
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
]If you had a £100 in 2p coins could you pay them into a bank/building society or could they also refuse to accept them ?

(Some) banks won't accept large quantities of copper unless you are either a paying business customer or paying into a children's savings account
Legally, a business only has to accept up to £1.00 in copper and in fact, there is no legal obligation to provide change if the correct amount is not tendered (off topic I know).
Mark
Community Veteran

Does no-one actually read the FACTS as stated by the Royal Mint above.  Crazy
There's an awful load of nonsense in this thread, none of it with any backup references whatsoever, because it's not correct!  Angry
nanotm
Pro

the facts are contained within the coinage act 1971,
attempting to make an excessive payment in lose change counts as a fraudulent transaction since the large quantity of coinage isn't classed as legal tender (it even sets out the amounts considered legal tender for each denomination, pound coins are not included because they didn't exist at the time)
and if people are that bothered then they can check the .gov website for the verbatim info since the info on the royal mint's website isn't actually correct but has been adjusted to allow for common sense to be applied
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Marksfish
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
There's an awful load of nonsense in this thread, none of it with any backup references whatsoever, because it's not correct!  Angry

Don't know which "nonsense" you are referring to as the sentence is very vague, but FACT: Go to some banks and they will not accept your change over the counter unless being paid to a childs savings account or into a business account. FACT. The local bus company will only accept a maximum of £1 in copper, may not be legal tender over 20p, but that is what the company tells drivers. They will also accept unused postage stamps as currency. And yes, there is also no requirement to provide change, although it is considered good customer service to do so.