cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSE ups it's offer!

Ado16
Grafter

SSE ups it's offer!

I see Scottish and Southern's Broadband sector have now changed their basic broadband which previously had a 50GB monthly limit to an Unlimited offer.  This is now then £12 Line rental and £8 a month broadband.
Tempting.  Wonder what the catch is! Undecided
27 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: SSE ups it's offer!

Quote from: Ado16
Wonder what the catch is!

Presumably the mackrel that bite at that bait... Grin
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Not forgetting the "£100 high street gift card". (Offer ends 15 April 2015)
https://www.sse.co.uk/phoneandbroadband/products/
Call features are "just £3.25 per feature per month, or four features for just £6.75 per month," compared with PlusNet's £2.50-£4.00 and 99p for Caller Display /  four for £6.00 (not all options eligible for the bundle).
https://www.sse.co.uk/PhoneAndBroadband/UsefulInformation/CallFeatures/
http://www.plus.net/support/phone/call_features.shtml
I note that SSE offers a proper Call Barring service whereas, despite repeated requests on these forums, Plusnet does not. (There is no standard Plusnet product but with staff manual intervention may relent and offer Premium Rate &/or International Call barring that cannot be configured by the customer. As far as I am aware there is no way of blocking calls to mobile phones from a Plusnet line.)
I don't see any mention of SSE offering an email service.
Anon
Pro

Anyone know if they are anygood?
Whatever happens always remember "We will do you
.........................proud" say Pnet.
Ado16
Grafter

I've searched through various forums and they don't seem to have built up much of any sort of reputation yet.
This offer has been running for months and I now see that they're running TV adverts.  (For the first time as far as I know).
I can only assume that some of the call rates are hight to cover the expenses laid upon them by the evil OFCOM,  However, as a "Headline" message - telling everyone that line rental is available "From £12"  - even if it's only one tarrif, should hopefully get people asking their companies why they can't have the same.
Increasing line rental is becoming a bit of a cash cow - or so it seems - for big companies. The more firms to come along and upset the apple cart - the better.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Ado16
Increasing line rental is becoming a bit of a cash cow

Consumers are being treated like idiots with these ads
Look how cheap our broadband is when you pay our inflated line rental charges
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@billnotben,
Exactly what they do.
A bugbear of mine for quite some time (and getting worse rather than better, most suppliers increasing line rental while Openreach reportedly reducing their charges).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: billnotben
Consumers are being treated like idiots with these ads
Look how cheap our broadband is when you pay our inflated line rental charges
The only one as far as I can see with your inflated line rental charges would be £20.00 a month but that comes with talk anytime inc 0845 and 0870. How much does Plusnet charge for this? Broadband does appear to be free.
nanotm
Pro

well I guess that means I would be paying about £20/mth including 300 minutes of free mobile calls and free 08xx calls anytime.
but they charge an optional extra to provide that bit of the service and I bought the LRS back when it was going cheap xD
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Ado16
Grafter

"Two Years Free Broadband" Now.  Huh
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Some feedback from people who have switched to SSE. Most of the issues seem to be with switching rather than the service thereafter.
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5224240
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Here's a thread that puts the ability of SSE's support in a very poor light: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/general/t/4430538-am-i-stuck-on-a-fixed-2mbps.html
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
alanf
Aspiring Pro

For example (from catz77  in the MSE thread for which I provided a link above)
I've tried to get SSE to expand on its traffic management scheme as it may impact on me without success. The one and only time the phone line has been answered and the advisor did not understand what traffic management was and then denied SSE used it. The SSE website confirms traffic is managed so I emailed my query and two weeks later I was advised to contact my local road agencies as SSE did not deal with traffic!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

A bit off topic,..... so mod`s can move if needed.... but relvant to this thread...

When I click on alanf linky to "forums/mse".... I get the page.... ( see pic 1)
When I click on spoonwhittler`s "forums.TBB" linky.... I get the page.... ( see pic 2 )....
HuH ?   anyone any ideas, why/ what could be blocking the second one... when the first one is ok.....( this has happened a couple of times before.but I went to the website through google and found it )...
nanotm
Pro

Bad dns?
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you