cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSE Price Hike PAYG

Steve
Seasoned Pro

SSE Price Hike PAYG

Just received a letter that from the 11th of May the price for my gas and electric will be increasing on my PAYG meters. The first line of numbers in the 'standing charge ' and the second is the unit rate per KWH with the numbers at the bottom being a personal projection

£££.JPG

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
13 REPLIES
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: SSE Price Hike PAYG

Well as the man said, 'in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes' - perhaps he should have added inflated bills as well! Smiley

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

You're born, you work, you die...

Makes you wonder what the point of life is when you can't even live it... Crazy2

Steve
Seasoned Pro

That standing charge works out around £192 a year

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@twocvbloke

I blame the parents m'self. Smiley

Jonpe
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 4

I'm with SSE and the standing charge works out at £100 p.a. per product, so that's £200 p.a. even if I don't use any gas or electricity!

I only use gas for heating and hot water so I didn't pay much for gas in the summer until they reintroduced the standing charge.

I haven't been informed of a price hike yet, but they have a habit of not informing me despite a written complaint from me some years ago.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Yeah the standing charge is a lot but I guess you're paying for delivery and maintenance of the card meters.
Community Veteran

Dunno if Ovo (or for us PAYG customers, "Boost Power", same company, same supply, same everything, just a different name they never told the majority of customers about!!!) is planning on upping their prices, but this is apparently what I'm on at the moment:

ovo rates.jpg

Community Veteran
Fixes: 31

I'm with Green Energy but only for power (gas is LPG).

Unit rate £0.1272 per kWh
Standing charge £0.1975 per day
Tariff ends on 29/06/2019
Price guaranteed until 29/06/2019
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

'Price guaranteed until 2019'.

Does that mean it might go down after that? Funny 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

I thought the government were making some changes to what these companies were allowed to charge? so costs would be more even across the board as those with meters were paying more than others for the same amount used.

There are a number of circumstances where people have no option but to use a meter and one could argue they are the very people who should be getting the best deals and not the worst ones.

Community Veteran

@gleneagles wrote:

There are a number of circumstances where people have no option but to use a meter and one could argue they are the very people who should be getting the best deals and not the worst ones.

Indeed, I'm on a PAYG+ Smart meter service because I couldn't afford to cover the monthly dumb-metered cost and the debt just went up, and up, and up, and then got to a point where it was "It's this, or nothing", so far there's been little issue with the system (just setting up initially, such as not being told that you had to log out, clear cookies, change the password and log back in, thanks Ovo!!!), and of course there's a debt repayment daily fee of £1 (50p per service), so that's automatically £7 swallowed up in a week, but not had any lights out moments to date...

But as for arguing that us low income types should get the best deals, there are people who have done just that, but the usual response from the major energy co's is "We just don't care, we want your money thanks!", and thus we get an inflated cost for the privilege of being in energy poverty, where we have to decide whether to keep the lights on or to have a tesco value pizza for dinner...

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

It irritates me no end that I as a customer have to shop around constantly for the best deals.

Fine for most products in life after all we live in a market economy but for essential services like energy, water and perhaps now even the internet, no way Jose. Knuppel

Community Veteran

I don't get the "shopping around" thing either, Product A costs X to create, and costs Y to distribute, but the Markup Z is what kills the deal as it varies from place to place, things like energy should not be a profit-making commodity, in this day and age, you need energy supplies to survive, and should be supplied at cost, no more...