Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPAM SMS

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

SPAM SMS

SPAM SMS
I don't know if this old news, but I've come across a way to report SPAM SMS text messages.  Here's the blurb from the TPS website.
"Although SPAM SMS messages are not covered by the same legislation that regulates live sales and marketing calls we often hear about them because they are received on your phone. A company should only send you an SMS is you have given them prior permission. Identifying the companies that send these texts can be difficult for the same reasons as mentioned above. But you can report these to the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) on the following website http://www.ico.gov.uk/complaints/privacy_and_electronic_communications.aspx
If the text is from an unknown company you should report the text message to your network operator, who may be able to prevent further messages from the originating number. You can either contact your network operator.s customer services or use one of the reporting numbers below:
Orange, O2 and T-Mobile:   Forward the SMS to 7726
Vodafone:   Forward the SMS to 7726 or 87726
Three:   Forward the SMS to 7726 or 37726
An easy way to remember 7726 is that they are the numbers on your telephone keypad that spell out the word SPAM. "
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: SPAM SMS

7726 is in my Contacts list! Surprisingly, each one I report dries up almost immediately and total spam is diminishing at quite a rate of knots!  Smiley
Geoff,
York.
Razer
Grafter

I was getting so many spam SMS so I was glad to find out about these numbers a couple of months ago. Since starting the reporting they have dried up, for now. In the meantime I have a land line connected again and that now means I am suffering the onslaught of unknown numbers calling that have a refund for me on a purchase I supposedly made - even though I'm not the previous occupant they were asking for! Or I'm getting silent calls, or disconnections when I say hello. Sadly I know only too well that TPS can do sod all about these. It's been a couple of years since I've had a land line, so I had forgotten about these types of calls.  Angry
Fixes: 125

I must be very lucky. I don't get many spam calls or texts. Maybe one each a week. Just ignore them.
When I get a call I usually just say Hi once and if no reply within 2 seconds hang up.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Be nice to have mobile phone coverage Embarrassed
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

Quote from: AlaricAdair

Orange, O2 and T-Mobile:     Forward the SMS to 7726
Vodafone:     Forward the SMS to 7726 or 87726
Three:     Forward the SMS to 7726 or 37726

One thing I've never understood is what you are sending when you fwd an SMS.  Are some sort of  headers sent with it?  I can't see them on my phone?  It always looks like you are just sending an sms with the original messages content!
[me=Kelly]goes to look up the RFC.[/me]
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
Be nice to have mobile phone coverage ....

Move to Moscow  in Russia. You seem to get 5 bar mobile phone signal strength everywhere even on their underground rail system which in the centre of town is deep enough to withstand a nuclear bomb.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

I've been doing this for quite a while now, forwarding to 7726 SPAM.
(It's the same number for all my networks)
And it's Free to do so !
Thankfully, perhaps one or two a month, if that.
And of course, never reply, with STOP or any other response.

http://www.tatango.com/blog/report-text-message-spam-to-7726/
I presume they don't need "headers" like they do with emails, the SPAM message usually contains some sort of phone number or email, so easy to trace, especially when they get loads of the same message, not usually being personalised like spammers  do with emails.
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: Kelly
One thing I've never understood is what you are sending when you fwd an SMS.  Are some sort of  headers sent with it?  I can't see them on my phone?  It always looks like you are just sending an sms with the original messages content!
[me=Kelly]goes to look up the RFC.[/me]

I don't quite understand, either. In forwarding messages to Three, they always reply immediately, thanking me for the forwarded message. In forwarding messages to T-Mobile, they sometimes thank me, and on other occasions they say I haven't forwarded the number, so I have to do that separately by inputting it into another text. In any case I never do anything different when I forward the spam text, so I don't know why sometimes their system says that, and others it doesn't.
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Move to Moscow  in Russia. You seem to get 5 bar mobile phone signal strength everywhere even on their underground rail system which in the centre of town is deep enough to withstand a nuclear bomb.

Maybe an idea, move both business and home to Moscow, employ cheaper Russian staff, probably get a good Broad Band speed as well Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

AFAIK most phones do NOT forward the details of the original sender - not on any that I've tried (but that doesn't include anything really modern) or ones I've been told about. If you don't forward the details as well, the provider has no chance of tracing the spammer.
The way I do it now if I get one is to >select forward and then >save in drafts or whatever folder (choice) you maybe prompted with. I then edit it and add all the detail manually, (as I have no options to do anything sensible with the original message details) that's the Sender: number (+ name if any); Message Centre number:  & the Time and Date: of the message.
I was interested to note that T-mobile was mentioned above, when I tried about a year ago (payg) the 7726 number didn't work. I sent them a moaning e-mail, got a stupid reply from some foreign CSC, so sent them a snotty reply and didn't hear any more, so maybe they went and fixed it!
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Perhaps they marked your email as SPAM !
Community Veteran

Gordon Bennet! Just had another one telling me I have £4150 owed to me for mis-sold PPI!
This time from 07881 203 910
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Well I hope you've forwarded it to 7726 (see my reply #10 above).
You aren't the only one as I'm sure you know, see http://keepsafeonthenet.co.uk/2012/10/httpyouhaveppi-com/comment-page-7/#comments and that's not the only number. The last comment I read on there said "what does it mean, please help me" - posting on a scam thread  Roll eyes  I mean how stupid can people be?