cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPAM @ 4,947 meters on the slopes of a canyon leading to the Sirena Deep in the Mariana trench.

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

SPAM @ 4,947 meters on the slopes of a canyon leading to the Sirena Deep in the Mariana trench.

26 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: SPAM @ 4,947 meters on the slopes of a canyon leading to the Sirena Deep in the Mariana trench.

Well that's cheered us all up. Sad

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: SPAM @ 4,947 meters on the slopes of a canyon leading to the Sirena Deep in the Mariana trench.

Indeed, no matter how far you go to avoid it, you'll always find spam...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

That has got to be a "FAKE NEWS STORY".... just check out the condition of the tin.... the paintwork.. even the id markings on the bottom... all in perfect condition... 

probably taken in some nice rock pool at Scarborough or Flamborough Head....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Also you're looking at 6.5K PSI at that depth and I don't think a can of Spam could stand that.

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

"Fake news" - what a yuck expression. Invented by some extreme right idiot.

Obviously, the tin-of-Spam was hurled overboard after it had been opened.

Similarly for the other junk which can be found at http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/okeanos/explorations/ex1605/logs/apr22/welcome.html

You can find more "trash" at https://marinedebris.noaa.gov/discover-issue

Fixes: 47

The caption on the photo says "a container of Spam" not "a Spam container" suggesting it is still unopened

and from what I know of Spam containers it does look unopened.

As for the condition of the can, as I understand it there is a significant shortage of oxygen at those depths so maybe corrosion is less of a problem down there.....(This sentence could be fake)

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

@VileReynard  you are obviously biased !... that can has not been opened... Obviously.. to quote your word...

Obvious definition... ....adjective: .....obvious.........easily perceived or understood; clear, self-evident, or apparent.

Kinda says it all really...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Strat wrote:

The caption on the photo says "a container of Spam" not "a Spam container" suggesting it is still unopened

But that said, a lot of papers suggest that what they print is 100% true and undeniable fact... Crazy

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

Well, yes, I'm biased; even obviously biased.

I wonder how deep an unopened tin of spam could sink without crumpling?

The pressure would be about 500 atmospheres at 4,947 metres.

Community Veteran

By that, I assume, that you agree, that it could obviously be .... fake news !

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

However, .....

Spam is 80% fat and if it is near the freezing point of water, the contents might be pretty solid?

Fixes: 47

That's a good point @VileReynard

/Strat goes to wash his mouth out...

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

When I saw the headline of this thread I was expecting to see a letter addressed to Ms Sirena Deep saying she'd won the Nigerian lottery.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

I’m not convinced that this is real, well at the depth being hinted at at least, I also don’t think that the fat content is that high either but it maybe 20%. If it were that high who’d eat it, it would be a bit like eating meaty lard and I can’t imagine anyone doing that.

Consider a submarine as well, its not made out of spam tin metal, nor is it the same shape, it’s circular for a reason; so it can withstand the huge pressures. There are bound to be air pockets in a can of spam as well and the image shown no signs of compression whatsoever.

Lastly, the water is very clear you would have thought at that depth there would have been some level of visible marine snow.

P.S. @Strat - You still tasting that soap? Cheesy

Edit:- OK, now this makes much more sense, if you read the text below the spam can image.