Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNOW... Unbelievable Motorists

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

SNOW... Unbelievable Motorists

A light smattering of snow this morning, just less than an Inch.
Unbelievable Motorists...
Using Credit Card or Hand to clear Windscreens of Snow.
For the sake of a £1 scraper !
And perhaps some de-icer, it went below Freezing overnight
Then actually Driving on the Road, two with just a small circle of vision cleared on the Windscreen.
And one with no lights on, it was dark... it still is at 6:30am
Plus one who was driving far too fast on untreated local roads.
Only a short trip for me, I dread to think how many accidents there will be this Morning.
Cyclists, yes you guessed it, no lights and no reflective clothing...
Sunshine forecast in 4 hours time, perhaps it will be safer then !!
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: SNOW... Unbelievable Motorists

Evolution is a fun thing, survival of the smartest... Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The other topic in the news is that insurance premiums are going up as petrol prices come down!
More marginal drivers on the road  Roll eyes
Be careful out there  Huh
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I remember a few years ago heading for work @6:45 snow & ice. Got about 2 miles from home, on a side road that meets the main road, and a van was coming straight for me, he had come off the main road (mostly clear) on to the side road (untreated) and hadn't slowed down, result the road went round a bend but he didn't. He ended up stuck on the barrier just in front of me, and I was able to drive past him.
I left him there are a) he was ok and b) stupid.
I also spent 2.5 hours driving 30 miles to work, to give up (10 miles to go) as by the time I got there the roads were at a standstill and it was still snowing. All I got from that was hassle from my boss 'cause I didn't get in!
Fixes: 47

A lot of years ago when I was a relatively new driver I set off for work one snowy morning.
Driving along a snow covered dual carriageway were a couple of cars doing 20mph.
I thought they were taking the mickey out of the situation and passed them easily in the outside lane Smiley
A quarter of a mile further on I came to a roundabout.
I started to go round it, completely lost grip and spun off, ending up on the banking facing the roundabout Embarrassed
I sat there watching the two careful drivers negotiate the roundabout and disappear down the road.
The only thing that was damaged was my ego and I continued on my way to work a much wiser driver.  
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I was once driving my (t)rusty old A55 van in the Snowdon area in Wales to do some winter walking. My walking buddy was dozing next to me in the front seat. It was good snowy conditions for mountain walking. I came around a blind corner onto a downhill stretch with mountain on one side and a drop off to the valley on the other side of the road. I was only doing 30 mph, but that was too fast because a roadside stream/ditch had overflowed across the road  then frozen to a sheet of ice for about 50 feet.  The van spun 360 degrees before I was able to regain control, though I could visualize us bouncing down to the valley floor. I was able to carry on without stopping. My mate just slept through it all.
Since then whenever conditions are icy I always assume there is a sheet of ice awaiting around the next corner.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
PowerLee
Rising Star

Could do with some ice on the roads, it might help pursued the 2 idiots that park directly opposite the junction at bottom of the hill on the road where my GF lives to finally stop parking there  Wink
Its pretty funny round where I live as all the expensive rear wheel drive cars will get left out parked on the main road as they cant get up the slight hills out of the estates / closes on to the main road.
So far snow has only stopped me getting to work once, someone had bumped there car & left it stuck in the middle of the road going up hill, bus comes slowly round the corner at bottom of hill, starts climbing then stops when it spots the obstruction & then slides backwards about 50 yards & ends up stuck on the end of the Armco barrier  Cheesy