cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS Natwest scam

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

SMS Natwest scam

This morning I had a scam SMS text purporting to be from NatWest advising me my online account had been locked for security reasons. Apparently I should log on to  www.nw0lbsecur1ty.co.uk   (URL bodged by me) to authenticate.  I didn't bother.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: SMS Natwest scam

It's not new sadly - another phising scam to get your username and password captured on a fake website.

Pete11
Pro

This is also happening with the Halifax and Natwest.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran

Personally I would bookmark the valid URL's. Ignore any e-mails or texts that
say something is up.

If you get worried log in via the valid one you know and check everything is as expected. If OK then fine otherwise call the bank.

It will continue sadly, my parents get the "There is a problem with your internet connection" scam call. I take the call and ask them detail for the nature of the problem. They always say they're from BT - when I ask whom my ISP is (PlusNet) I actually had to explain what the acroynm ISP meant. I got "I don't understand and hung up". 😄

Tags (1)
  • Tags:
Community Veteran

Whenever I've received anything banking related as spam, I've always gone to my normal log-in pages for them (usually just Paypal and my bank), never clicked any links in the emails or messages, mostly because the instant flag is there's no mention of my name, which my bank and Paypal always include, therefore making it much easier to identify the fakes... Smiley

Community Veteran

Yep, I remember logging onto Barclays (my bank). Usual URL. I must have had malware on the PC.
Instead of asking for a couple of letters for my passcode. It asked for the whole one.

I knew something was up, clever it must have done something to intercept the page.

cyrilclark1
Rising Star

The security department at my bank told me not to log on using a bookmarked URL but to always retype the web address.

Their argument was that bookmarked URLs could be subject to some sort of hacking.

Champnet
Rising Star

Picking up on @AlaricAdair original message :

This is not the usual phishing scam. It hasn't come through an email, it's come through a mobile SMS text message.

@cyrilclark1 I wouldn't take too much notice of Bank Security advice, I've worked with these people.

Typing the URL is no more safer than a bookmarked URL. I would always recommend using a bookmark but keeping an eye on the entry in the address bar.