Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIMs & Blutack

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

SIMs & Blutack

Mobile Phone SIMs these days seem to come in a combo mini / micro SIM, with the micro SIM being a push out from the mini SIM.
Not only do the micro SIMs pop out of the mini SIMs if you are not extremely careful when separating the combo from the packaging "credit" card, but trying to remove such a SIM from a phone to put an alternative one into a phone, such as when on Holiday......
I find it hard, especially in a hot climate, to get any purchase on the installed SIM, manoeuvring it from the "lock" that holds it in place in the phone, any force merely separates the two SIMs in the phone !!
Talking here about phones that require a mini SIM.
Eventually I found a solution........... Blutack.
A small pea sized ball of Blutack (non sticky, sticky stuff) sticks to the SIM, and allows horizontal movement, enabling the combo SIM to be removed from the phone, whilst the other hand / finger depresses the "lock", in an instance where the bottom of the SIM is not visible.... and so cannot be helped with a fingernail / small screwdriver.
There is enough purchase to just use the top of the mini SIM, not going anywhere near the pop-out micro SIM.
So far, I have not been supplied with a Mini/Micro/Nano SIM, they must be a nightmare !!

I remember when mobiles required standard "credit card" sized SIMs  !

Example of a combo SIM pictured.
Three seem to be the worst offender, from my experience for popping out, EE combo SIMs at least you can pop the micro SIM back in quite securely.
Moan over...... time for Breakfast !!
(Don't try swapping SIMs before Breakfast !)
3 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: SIMs & Blutack

I just popped onto eBay and bought a micro sim adaptor http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=micro+sim+adapter&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l...
and my phones take a range of sims from nano thru to full size, cheap older handsets for outside likely to break usage take full size but other handsets that are used more frequently take the nano sims (being Lumia phones) so its a matter of a paperclip and then shoving the sim into the adaptor (which I keep in the handset it fits in) a quick simple job without any fuss at all Smiley
it pays to be prepared
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Blutack is great for several things, I find it useful for making screwdriver bits 'magnetic' and, unlike conventional magnetic bits, it works on all screws including plastic ones.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

You've reminded me.
At home, 3 big blobs of Blutack on the underside of the cordless Kettle Base means we can switch the Kettle on, with it's horizontal illuminated small switch, with just one finger !
Pressed down hard when first "installed" never moves for months.
Same for small PVR's that slide about if not "secured" when changing USB flash drives.
Larger ones too, though I tend to extend the USB with a small extension cable to the side.
This too...
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,117386.msg1015398.html#msg1015398
Reply #13

So many non-conventional uses for Blutack.....