cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM card serial number

Highlighted
Rising Star

SIM card serial number

Make a note of your Mobile phone SIM card serial number.

Invaluable when it comes to replacing lost, stolen or damaged SIM card.

Spent well over an hour this morning, live chat, trying to convince THREE I am who I say I am, in getting them to replace a lost SIM card.

Gave all my details, passed security etc, round & round in circles getting nowhere.

"What is your SIM card serial Number"......... I don't know, it's LOST !!

1) Go into Three shop..... they're all closed !

2) Ring THREE CS..... it's closed. All working from home !

3) Use THREE app..... I need SIM card to do that.....

4) order new SIM website, but new SIM not replacement. Lose Premium number (23456) & ££'s etc

So I looked back at old backup spreadsheet from when I got SIM cards, there was the SIM card seriaI number.

I suppose if I'd kept the SIM card carrier, it would have been on there......

3rd phone call giving them the SIM card serial number proved my Validity.

5 minutes later, new SIM card on it's way...

24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: SIM card serial number

That of course applies to PAYG SIM cards of course, if you're a contract customer, you can order one online:

https://www.three.co.uk/Support/sim-support/sim-replacement

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

Useful tip, thank you. It seems an obvious thing to do AFTER you have lost the darned thing!

Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 127

Any mobile provider should be able to see what SIM IMEI number is registered to your account. They use the IMEI to determine what phone number is to be associated with it when it registers on the network.

Highlighted
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Very useful  

Just checked the link and its FREE 1-2  Days  PlusNet charge for a replacement even if it for a smaller one

HD

Highlighted
Rising Star

@MisterW wrote:

Any mobile provider should be able to see what SIM IMEI number is registered to your account. They use the IMEI to determine what phone number is to be associated with it when it registers on the network.

They need you to tell them what your SIM serial number is for validation, of course they know what it is, but you need to tell them.

As for IMEI number, AFAIK that relates solely to a phone, not a SIM card.

Every phone has a unique 15-digit number called an IMEI, or International Mobile Equipment Identity.

I'm sure Google will provide a definitive answer !

Highlighted
Community Veteran

A lot of phones now come with twin SIM setups, so actually ave two IMEI numbers associated with them...

Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser

As for IMEI number, AFAIK that relates solely to a phone, not a SIM card.

Every phone has a unique 15-digit number called an IMEI, or International Mobile Equipment Identity

You are correct,  my bad , the sim card number is the IMSI

I cant imagine that , if asked, anyone would know the no of their sim! 

Highlighted
Rising Star

No-one I have contacted had a note of their SIM card serial number.......

They do now !

Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser

Personally, I think Three are just trying to be awkward, forcing you to provide information that they know almost no-one will have or take a new number and account, thus losing any credit. I've had a Giffgaff PAYG account for a while and have done a sim swap online when changing sim size for a new phone. You just order a new sim for free (in fact I keep a spare or two now), login to your online account, initiate the sim swap, type in the IMSI from the new sim, within a few minutes it's done , old sim deactivated , new sim active!

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@MisterW wrote:

Personally, I think Three are just trying to be awkward

+1

If you ever read their T&Cs in depth they attempt to own your entire life pretty much. You transmit a photo across their network, they own it and have copyright rights to it. I'm not joking either, they really are that aggressive.

Compare that to other networks who don't seem to issue much in the way of T&Cs and you'll realise just how hostile 3 actually are.

I had this out with 3 a few years ago (couldn't use a 3 sim as the 2nd sim on a dual sim phone), they argued that it's to "protect themselves" - stealing peoples copyright / data isn't protection.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Lægen wrote:

All the card holders are dumped in the bottom of the filing cabinet. Which ones are current is another matter. I can't recall the last time I got rid of any! I'd best check.... maybe.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Aspiring Pro

Agree with much of your post but I think you're a bit hard on Three. All the tech companies are out to make money, otherwise they wouldn't exist.  Their PAYG is great value and their coverage in our (remote) area is better than anyone else.

I'm glad they are careful with SIM info. Many people have been scammed by having their phone number hijacked so their two-stage authentication is compromised. So I'm glad Three and other providers make it as difficult as possible to use a stolen phone.

Highlighted
Rising Star

@idonno wrote:

@Lægen wrote:

All the card holders are dumped in the bottom of the filing cabinet. Which ones are current is another matter. I can't recall the last time I got rid of any! I'd best check.... maybe.

Checked, my card holders do NOT have the serial number printed on them.....

But the letter that came with the card attached does have the serial number on it !

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Depends on the SIM manufacturer, some will have the number on both the carrier and the module, some will not...