cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM card adapter for PC or MAC

Community Veteran
Fixes: 31

SIM card adapter for PC or MAC

Not to sure where the best place was to ask this so I thought I'd get more exposure posting it here in General.

I have an account I want to protect so as the service offers two way authentication I thought I'd see if there was a device that would allow me to plug a SIM card in to either my PC or Mac (ideally) and when plugged in it acts like a mobile phone. So when a text message is sent I can read it just like I would on a mobile phone (that I don't have).

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Edit:- When a Mod has time could you move this to a board you think appropriate, now that I have an answer I would like to mark it as fixed.

Tags (4)
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: SIM card adapter for PC or MAC

Most mobile broadband sticks allow you to read & compose text messages on your computer, I don't think they'd do phonecalls though if that's a requirement, the only thing I could think of that would is a Nokia CardPhone series (PCMCIA/CardBus cards) device, which is pretty old tech now...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 31

@twocvbloke - Do you mean something like this?

Community Veteran

Yep, go for an unlocked one though, that way you're not tied down to one network... Smiley

(I have a Three one that I've had since new and unlocked it for a couple different services in the past, heck, could even use it on my new vodafone router!!)

RobPN
Seasoned Pro

@Mook wrote:

- Do you mean something like this?

Note that the 3GB deal is almost £5 cheaper than the 1GB one, although it's out of stock ATM.

Quote:Temporarily out of stock.
Order now and we'll deliver when available. We'll e-mail you with an estimated delivery date as soon as we have more information. Your account will only be charged when we dispatch the item. 

IME having ordered temporarily out of stock items from Amazon several times, they usually come back in stock well before the expected date.

RobPN
Seasoned Pro

@twocvbloke wrote:

Yep, go for an unlocked one though, that way you're not tied down to one network... Smiley

(I have a Three one that I've had since new and unlocked it for a couple different services in the past, heck, could even use it on my new vodafone router!!)

As you probably know, Three phones are supplied unlocked (or if you have an old one they will give you an unlock code FOC).  So do you know if it's the same for their dongles?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 20

Nope their dongles are locked (or at least were when I bought mine), but the unlock code is dirt cheap like 99p. Personally I use a MiFi but same idea.
Community Veteran

I unlocked mine for nowt, used an internet guide on how to do it, but then mine is ancient now (had it for around 8 or 9 years) and can't even do more than 3.6Mbps 3G... Grin