cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SALE Now On!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

SALE Now On!

I'm getting fed up with these pathetic false sales that the big stores keep putting on.
We went to look at some beds over the last couple of days as the current one needs replacing.
They're all having a massive sale! The problem is though that they all seem to be selling ridiculously over priced beds marked down to a expensive 'every day' price.
We went to Dreams today.. same thing. All over priced every day beds supposedly marked down from over £1k. Look at the small print and it turns out it was on sale for about 2.5 weeks in November at the higher price - in a whole year. Somehow they can then justify marking it down from a temporary rip off and then calling it a sale - while still charging the earth for it.
So.. we either pay the earth of a bed.. or we continue to suffer. Any ideas as to where we can get a normally priced decent bed these days?
If you have gripes about the sale thing too, feel free to hijack the thread even if not bed related Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
6 REPLIES
jmd
Grafter

Re: SALE Now On!

If you have a local independent  furniture store they are usually better than the big countrywide stores.  When they have sales they are generally more meaningful!
johpal
Grafter

As you spend about a third of your life in bed, it's worth making the investment in a good one. I recommend taking a look at John Lewis; sale or no sale.  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

As jmdlp says... seek out your local independent... down here in Portsmouth, we have "Mr. Pine".... who retails....... Pine Furniture.... whilst this may not be everyone`s style of furniture, it is often very well made, and good quality, and justifies the prices.... If you need a "special" version to your own size, he can usually accomodate you...
I am in full agreement with your sentiments about the so called sales.... especially when you see them blasting away at you on TV every 15 minutes..... there is an old saying that they (the sales people) have not comprehended for years
"familiarity breeds contempt"..... ! 
the more  they blast us with those ads, the less we are inclined to believe them......no matter how many times they change the product, to make it look "real"........
smiffyb36
Grafter

I worked for SCS sofas for sometime and this is exactly the practice they used too. They had identified the quietest 2 weeks of trade if i remember right sometime in November and would boost all the prices over this period, this would then be reduced for the 'Big Sale' starting on Boxing Day. Big discounts being touted as they had been at a higher price for 2 weeks only in most cases.
As much as we may not like it and it isn't morally correct it works, the floods that used to come in whenever the sales were advertised were massive. They keep doing it because average Joe Bloggs still falls for it.
Allied Carpets deserve a mention here too lol I don't think they've ever not had a sale on at any given time.
idlewis
Grafter

Apologies for the long delay but Try co-operative beds they prices are very good  ecpecially if you are a member or Try the money club where that if you find bed or another product that you like, note the make and model then phone up and the money club will give the wholesale price instead of the retail price which will miss out the middle man.  i.e Washing machine £400 - retail price £153 - Wholesale Price
Try Cashback website as they give very deals as well as dscount vouchers on certain companies.
idlewis
Grafter

Forgot to say that the money club is £98 a year.