cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ryanair cutting services from Stansted

Community Veteran

Ryanair cutting services from Stansted

Ryanair has announced they are reducing their fleet at Stansted by 40% this winter.  They did a similar thing last winter.  It's to be hoped they've planned this ahead or there will be a lot of disappointed passengers.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8160923.stm
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Ryanair cutting services from Stansted

Not really concerned what they do - I think they are an appalling airline - had to use them a few times - and had more trouble with them that any other airline.
I found that Aer Lingus although the state airline etc., offered practically the same fare and much more reliable and you could reserve a seat etc
Community Veteran

I've never flown with them but I have friends who often go into Europe for the weekend sometimes for 1p inclusive of taxes!  I think the secret is not to take hold baggage with you and pay with an electron card Smiley
I do use Easyjet a fair bit and find them adequate for the short trips I take with them. 
itsme
Grafter

I have never got Ryanair flights that cheap. The cheapest I got was 1p excluding taxes.  Wink
Community Veteran

They seem to do many offers inclusive and exclusive of tax.  Recently they did 99p inclusive.  I was thinking of popping somewhere for a day trip.  Must give them a try sometime to see how they compare to Easyjet.
They now charge £5 if you print your own boarding pass but £40 if you do it at the airport.
They also make a charge for using any debit or credit card with the exception of an Electron card.  What I was told this week is that this card charge is per passenger so if a family of 4 travel and pay  in one card transaction they will still be charged 4 times the fee.  Doesn't seem right to me Sad
pierre_pierre
Grafter

its whats called the luck of the "Hirish" glad my flight booked on Easy Jet, Stansted to Belfast international
Community Veteran

Having just done a trip on Ryanair I can comment on this
The on line check in is a nonsense. We checked in on line and printed the boarding passes. Web Check in: £5.00 per passenger each way
So I am thinking,  we can drop the bags off and go straight though to security. When we got to Manchester airport, guess what, we had to go the the Ryanair check in to... err...check in and hand over our bags. What's that all about?
They do charge you to pay them, £5 per customer per way. it's called the handling fee, for a debit card?
We took two checked bags and they cost £20 pounds each, 15 kilo limit. (£15 per kilo excess if you are over)
Priority boarding cost £3.00 per person each way. You get  a head start to pick a decent seat and avoid the scrum at the gate.
For three adults the outbound flight to Marseilles was £30.00
Inbound to Manchester was £102.90
plus £107 add ons as described
Total cost three adult returns to Manchester Marseilles £240.90.
Both flights left on time and arrived ahead of schedule, no problems.
I just would have prefered if they had said the price was £80.00 return each
Community Veteran

Mr O'Leary likes to play both ends.  They're removing check-in desks to save costs ("and keep prices low" - ha!) and then you get to pay £5 for the privilege of printing your boarding pass using your own printer, ink, etc.  His greatest talent is for spinning everything, to make it sound as if he's doing you a favour!
His pricing policies are totally aimed at misleading the customer into thinking they're paying less than they will.  The OFT has totally failed to deal with him. (Ryan Air doesn't have an official office in the UK) Perhaps the case going through in Germany will manage what they couldn't.  Angry
Rant over
Community Veteran

The EU told the cheap airlines that their prices must be inclusive of all mandatory charges so technically he is breaking the ruling by not including the £5 check-in fee.  There's no way to avoid it.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just been looking at Easy Jet terms and rules,  Its very clear and in simple language, his luggage allowance is 20 Kg made up of up to 8 bags in the hold plus one hand baggage  55x40x20 cm
Check in free
Ryan you Dair max 10 Kg
Community Veteran

Easyjet charge £8 per hold bag each way.  If you've booked early enough you may have got in before these charges were imposed.  Check your booking confirmation.
Ryanair has a 15Kg limit on hold baggage.  The 10Kg you quote is cabin baggage.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

what is the ryan hold fee?
the t&c for easy jet is devious on the hold fee, not spcified
Community Veteran

Ryanair allow per passenger
One 10 KG carry on, 55cm x 40cm x 20cm.
Up to 3 bags to check in to the hold, total weight allowed 15KG, for which the charge is £20
Excess weight is charged at £15 per kilo
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
just been looking at Easy Jet terms and rules,  Its very clear and in simple language, his luggage allowance is 20 Kg made up of up to 8 bags in the hold plus one hand baggage  55x40x20 cm
Check in free
Ryan you Dair max 10 Kg

Bit of a change of heart then PP Wink  From the easyjet website:
Checked Baggage
Every item of standard checked ('hold') baggage will incur a fee. The applicable online fee will be displayed at the time of booking baggage (whether during or after booking your flight). Alternatively, you may choose to pay a higher charge at the airport.