Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rust on cars.. treatment?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Rust on cars.. treatment?

Hi
Well today I inspected the car thats been off the road for a few moons.. it doesn't look good and I've spotted a few spots of rust setting in  Cry
I had intended to have the thing running this year but due to the health issues and not being physically able to haul out an engine (my gut will explode) it will probably be another year before I can do anything serious with it.
So, what can I do rust wise? It's not the main body work but other parts under the bonnet such as the top of the shocks. I had some rust there on another in the exact same place and a year later it had a hole there  Shocked What I've done on other spots is to cover them with vaseline to try and hold it off but I'm not sure if this will work on larger spots.
Any tips please?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Rust on cars.. treatment?

If it is only "surface" rust at the moment... best thing to do is to use the end of an old file 1" or so, and get rid of as much as you can... then wire brush  (if you can) ( drill/wire brush) try to get down to nice shiny metal... then you need a good coating of rust preventer gel.... leave that for 24 hours... then clean off with soapy water... now is the time to get out the old Red undercoat spray,. and give 2 or 3 coats, before finishing off with another couple of coats of top coat paint to match the car... 
If it goes through the metal, in the area around the top of the front shocks, then it is likely to be serious, and will become an MOT failure point... so will need to have the rusty area cut out and replaced professionally...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

In addition to the wise advice given by Shutter I would also add that Zinc painted on the rusted areas will reduce further rust, personally I am lazy and just wipe the area with clean engine oil which might reduce the speed/spread of the rust. I Have used Waxoil in the past but have not been too impressed with it's performance.
Another type of paint is Red Lead and I found that fairly effective in the past.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I don`t think you can get Red Lead Paint any more.... it is now more common to use Red Oxide... as an undercoat.... on "clean" bare metal... followed by the grey undercoat... (2 of each)...