Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Russian Spy Attack.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Russian Spy Attack.

Needed as much as Ken Dodd needs another joke.

Like China, Russia now has a dictatorship.

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

@7up wrote:

It will strengthen Putins image in his country.

Last I heard he was awarded 8th Degree Black Belt Karate ( highest rank ), shirtless doing the Epiphany Dip  and he is best friends with Steven Seagal. Can you really get much stronger lol ?  you crack me up @7up

@Minivanman Britain isn't too far behind with the one party state.

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Explain.

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

I don't really need to @Minivanman take a look at history and see for yourself how long the Tories have been in power and they continue to stack the odds in their favour to this very day. Almost 60% of my life has been under Tory rule. And not once did I vote for them. Did you vote for May to be PM?

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

So where were you @Steve between 1997 and 2010.

I have never voted for either of the main political parties and we may not have the government of our choice but I see nothing to suggest we are anywhere near a dictatorship in the accepted sense. 

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

Although Tony Blair adopted a presidential style, we do not vote for the PM.  That's why we don't have another election when the ruling party elects another leader who then automatically becomes PM.  We have all heard the opposition, of both parties, call for a general election when this happens, but there is no constitutional requirement for it.  The role of deputy prime minister is not part of our constitution either but was thought to be Blair's way of keeping Prescott on side.

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

Them dates are only a small snapshot of history. Look at history on a larger scale and it becomes glaringly obvious. Back on topic I see May has given Russia a deadline, Maria Zakharova said there had been a "circus show in the British parliament" isn't there always Maria lol. And Moscow added, cryptically: "Before making up new fairy tales, let the British disclose how the Litvinenko case ended."

Vladimir Dzhabarov, a deputy head of the foreign affairs committee in the upper house of the Russian parliament, said the claim of Russian involvement was "nonsense".

It would not make sense to attack an ex-spy "whom no one needed", he added.

Russia has an Election coming up and they want Putin gone!!

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Do your really think that Labour would have been elected in 1997 without Blair, or that Corbyn will have a cat in hell's chance if he/we make it as far as 2022?

It's not always about personality politics I know, consider Churchill in 1945 when despite his popularity he failed to get elected, but in 1997 Labour was re branded with it's clause four cojones cut off helped in no small part by the likes of that quisling Prescott.

Gods help us all, but we are a million miles from the likes of Russia or China.

Edit: Without Blair not with..... obviously, except for the nitpicker and pedantic,  

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Minivanman wrote:

Do your really think that Labour would have been elected in 1997 with Blair

Umm... Plot, lost?

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Prime Minister from 1997 to 2007 and leader of the Labour party from 1994 to 2007.

Where have I lost the plot. 

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

@Jonpe If memory serves me correctly I am sure it was @gleneagles that suggested a presidential style voting system for the UK in a thread somewhere on this forum. Do you think that would be the better option? I am starting to think it might be.

On topic: 

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov specifically addressed the case of Litvinenko on Friday, noting that the UK's finger-pointing at Moscow runs parallel to what happened in that case.

“I want to remind people that Litvinenko’s death was also attributed to Russia, but hasn’t been investigated, because court proceedings, which were called ‘public,’ were, in fact, closed. They were carried out in a very strange way, and numerous facts, which emerged throughout the investigation, haven’t come into the public domain,” the minister said.

Litvinenko died in November 2006, after assassins allegedly slipped radioactive polonium 21 into his cup of tea at a London hotel. However, his own brother Maksim stated in 2016 that Britain had more reason to kill Litvinenko than Russia. 

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Minivanman

You questioned whether Labour would have won the 1997 General Election under Blair.

Labour *did* win the 1997 General Election under Blair.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Give yourself a coconut. Thumbs_Up

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Minivanman wrote:
 except for the nitpicker and pedantic,  

A  word of advice, @Minivanman

It would help enormously if you checked that your posts make sense before submitting them, rather than posting in haste and then making several edits over the following hour or so. It is neither nitpicking nor pedantic to assume that what you have written is what you mean.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Enjoy your coconut.