Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Russian Spy Attack.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Russian Spy Attack.

So the Russians say "We thought you wanted our gas." We should reply, "Just the natural gas, not the VX".

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Steve wrote:

@shutter wrote:

In theory....

But in practice.... can we survive without the Gas being supplied from Russia.... ? 

Not a cats chance in hell and I am glad to see someone here type that. Russia=very bad but in the real world Russia=Trade and warmth.

Interesting you say that because just a few months ago you seemed to be defending Putin especially regarding Syria Huh

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

@7up I was talking from a Mainstream and British establishment POV, I will always stand by Russia regarding Syria. The filth has been mostly eradicated America would of still been there fighting and supplying munitions to the enemy illegally. 

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Minivanman wrote:

By all accounts the UK’s shale gas industry is in a race against time to establish itself before climate change regulations shut it down - so lets all hope they stumble, fall and fail.

We need to stop sucking the life out of our planet. 

But you then have to decide what we should take out of the ground and what should we leave there ?

If it's something we need that means it's worth money of which the government get a good cut so irrespective of what most peoples views are about fracking it will go ahead until such time a cheaper source of alternative energy can replace it.

The above statement does not mean I support fracking but I think the vast areas in other countries where logging takes place is a greater threat.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

There is a difference between removing oil and gas through fracking or drilling, and managed forestry, where the trees are replaced after logging, and therefore it is a "renewable" source.

Bring back the original central heating....

viking house central heating.jpg

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

@AlaricAdair wrote:

So the Russians say "We thought you wanted our gas." We should reply, "Just the natural gas, not the VX".

Yes I remember watching the film "The Rock" (when it was released at the time) and remember thinking it was contrived and no gas can be that deadly.

Only recently I realise the film makers had done their homework and are probably right.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Steve wrote:

@7up I was talking from a Mainstream and British establishment POV, I will always stand by Russia regarding Syria. The filth has been mostly eradicated America would of still been there fighting and supplying munitions to the enemy illegally. 

Ah right yes i see what you mean there from the establishment POV.

Must disagree with you on the syria thing though, dropping bombs on innocent civilians is not a good thing - even if it is helping to wipe out isis. But we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Alex wrote:

@AlaricAdair wrote:

Only recently I realise the film makers had done their homework and are probably right.

Film makers (especially in hollywood) have access to some of the brightest scientific minds and advisors. They're not the every day joe doing the every day job.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

dropping bombs on innocent civilians is not a good thing

But Dresden for example is an exception?

Highlighted
Community Veteran

No not really but there is little that can be done to change history. Likewise there is also little that can be done to stop Hitler over 70 years ago.

The germans voted him into power, they supported his revolutionary views and what happened happened.

Syria is a different kettle of fish. It's happened in the here and now. It shouldn't have.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Seemingly there are no innocents in war,  not on either side. There are no winners either.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles

Fracking and logging? That's conflating two separate issues surely.

Logging can be a problem if not done responsibility. Here in Wales it is considered a natural and sustainable resource whereas fracking is, we know don't we, going to be in the hands of corporations that hold environmental concerns secondary to profit regardless of possible pollution to the water table for example.

Like so much else, it's bad news in pursuit of profit regardless of public opinion.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

I don't support fracking however to a point I do see the argument for it, there's gas, it's not going to be used for anything else why not use it?

Trouble is that it will cause local environmental problems and like everyone else I don't want to see that.

Unless everyone in this country decides to live like the ancestors and move about instead of living in bricks and mortar then this will not change. We either need to learn to adapt and let these things happen (in which case we'd probably not need gas anyway) or the environment harmers need to accept that people don't want this stuff happening on their doorstep.

I think it's quite clear the latter needs to happen and they need to have a drastic rethink because people work hard to live in their homes and don't want their local environment to be disturbed even if it does generate more energy.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

It's not an easy circle to square I admit, and whilst our primary source of heat is a small wood-burner (in a small cottage) the source is sustainable, whereas the propane gas we use for cooking (about 19kg over three months) has to come from somewhere as does the electricity for light and for heating our water (two hour max on cheap rate) overnight.

I suppose the argument is why makes things worse when we really, do not have to.  

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Apparently, May is now 'under pressure' to take "firm action" against the Russians.

Perhaps these political pundits can also tell us how we can do this against somebody who has a much bigger stick than we do. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR4wf6AAcQc