Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Russia & British Warship

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Russia & British Warship

Hard to get the actual truth on what went on regarding a British Warship, some claim that Russia was simply carrying out manoeuvres in the area but Jonathan Beale a defence correspondent makes it sound more sinister than that….

Would Russia actually attack a British Ship in waters where there was some dispute on territorial waters ?

BBC news has details of the incident for those interested.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
7 REPLIES 7
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Russia & British Warship

Caught a bit of this earlier and it all sounded rather confusing. 

Also caught a bit about a French warship close to the south coast of England. Any news on the why's and wherefores about that?

As for sinking a British warship there would be sweet Fanny Adams anything we could do about it, but NATO might... or might not.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Can’t see NATO doing much about it apart from talk, verbal threats and more sanctions, how many member countries of NATO would want to get dragged into a war …..and I doubt NATO would act without the agreement of most if not all of its members.

No one in the EU wants to upset Russia and give them an excuse to cross their borders, certainly not for the UK who left the EU.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Don't see the EU saying boo to a goose over this but that apart, waving your willie about in somebody else's back garden is never a good idea.

Thomas A. Edison
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 32

@Minivanman wrote:

...waving your willie about in somebody else's back garden is never a good idea.

You speak from experience?  Shocked

The Internet gave us access to everything; but it also gave everything access to us.
James Veitch

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

No, but then I've never jumped out of a hot air balloon either! 😃

God only knows there must be a bigger picture here, but as a mere mortal I cannot for the life of me see why we are baiting the bear. 

Crimea it ain't. 

Thomas A. Edison
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

We're never gonna get a clear picture from anyone. Governments of the world spend £millions trying to use the press to manipulate peoples knowledge of political events.

Would Russia open fire directly on one of our ships? - I doubt it - for the time being at least. The way the ruskies are going though it's potentially only a matter of time. BUT then you have to also look at it the other way around, just like the USA our country has deemed itself worthy to poke it's nose in where ever it likes and try to dictate to others what is good for us. To them, we're the unwanted enemy and a potential threat.

Meanwhile the civilian populations of every country don't really gfive a damn about any of it but all of our lives are collateral damage waiting to happen for politicians around the world to use against each other when they have a petty spat.

It's all rather stupid really isn't it.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Britannia rule the wave, not rules.

Somebody needs reminding this is not 1721.

Royal Navy won't be deterred by Russia, says UK minister - BBC News

Thomas A. Edison