cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running-in

Fixes: 125

Running-in

Took delivery of my nice new shiny Vauxhall Zafira this morning.
Miss some things about the Primera but the Zafira offers so much more for family holidays especially with my poor old mum and her arthritis.
Nothing was mentioned about 'running it in' and I never thought to ask at the time. A Google search showed that modern engines don't really need to be 'run-in' but restricting speed for the first few hundred miles is advised.
Anyone in the know care to ellaborate on this and is it really necessary?
As I mainly do local travelling but up/down a major 'A' road and only about 30/40 miles a week my patience (which I don't seem to have according to my other thread) will be srely tested Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

18 REPLIES
PowerLee
Rising Star

Re: Running-in

Once its up to operating temperature it's safe to give it a little work out up the rev range.
Keep a good check on the oil level for the first 500 ish miles as some engines can be a bit thirsty on oil while they bed it.
Community Veteran

When I got my new car nearly 3 years ago the dealer simply said drive carefully for the first 2-3oo miles and go on the occasional longer journey if most of the driving was local.  As you say running-in isn't something to worry about these days. Enjoy your new car Smiley Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

As far as I know you don't need to run-in a new engine. the old nn for yy miles then xx for zz miles no longer applies.
What is always applied is don't rev the dogs out of it for the first 1000 miles. keep the revs low for the first 100 (<5000 on a petrol, <3000 on a d) etc, but be aware that when you get it, if it has come over the channel then it will already have been driven by "<insert race driver>" in the on load/off loading.
My Ford has 115+K on the clock but I didn't get it for the first 15K (1st year) so I don't know how it was treated but I have had no engine issues (touch wood!)

Found this on the What Car? site:
This used to be the responsibility of the owner, but many modern car engines either don't require running in, or the procedure is done on a 'bench' at the factory.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I drove a zafira as a company car for a few months last year doing some temp work. Lovely spacious motors and the rear folding seats were a great idea. 7 people or 5 and luggage. Incredible things I was really impressed. Very practical I thought, shame I can't afford one as my own personal motor but if I ever could I would be tempted.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

We get a brand new car every 6 months and take it easy for the first couple of hundred miles then progressively give it more beans as it gets more mileage on it.
It's also worth taking it a bit easy just in case something isn't bolted up tightly enough - I've seen brand new cars with bits falling off and a couple of breakdowns in the first week as the battery hadn't been connected properly.
Community Veteran

All I've ever done is too take it easy for the first couple of hundred miles.
Manufacturing tolerances are so accurate these days that 'running in - please pass' is no longer required.
Enjoy yer new 'jam-jar' Mav!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Hairy

My Ford has 115+K on the clock but I didn't get it for the first 15K (1st year) so I don't know how it was treated but I have had no engine issues (touch wood!)

Huh.... only been out for a days shopping,  then....?  Cheesy

My Skoda Fabia 1.9 SDI, has 199k on the clock.... and still no engine problems..... make sure I do the oil and filter change every 10k....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: picbits
We get a brand new car every 6 months

Shocked
Where do you work and how do I get in?  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

At a car leasing company ......
Apart from annoying the neighbours, swapping cars every 6 months is a bit of a pain in the buttocks - just as you're loosening up a car and getting used to it you have to start all over again.

Just had a chat with a guy from Vauxhall who confirmed that there is no need for any running-in period and rev as one would normally.
I'm not one for pushing up the revs unnecessarily anyway, so should be fine.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Don't forget that it's not just the engine that's brand new! The transmission, brakes etc will all need bedding in. Engines are indeed factory-conditioned but transmissions and brakes definitely aren't. Gentle use for the first 1000 miles is advised. Avoid full throttle and emergency braking.
As far as the engine is concerned, vary the revs as much as possible when new without overdoing it. Avoid use of the cruise control as well, because all the components will benefit from being exposed to a wide variation of torque conditions.

Better make sure I ease it in over the next 1000 miles, then.
As I have the holiday at the start of May I'd better start using those miles as, generally I only do 30/40 miles a week which would take almost 6 months Cheesy Certainly don't want to dawdle all the way to South Devon Roll eyes

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: nozzer
Avoid ..... emergency braking.

Except in an emergency.  Roll eyes
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.