cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruggedised Smartphones

Fixes: 47

Ruggedised Smartphones

There aught to be many more ruggedised smart-phones around in the popular makes and in girlie colours.
My daughter has gone through 4 phones in the time I've had one.....and I'm not surprised.
When I've finished a call my phone is slipped carefully and safely into my pocket which contains nothing else which could damage my phone.
In her case it's dropped casually into her bag...and we know what women's bags are like.
In there it has to defend itself against mirrors, compact make-up cases, lipsticks, combs and brushes, eyebrow pencils, purses, grips, safety pins, bra inserts, nail files, cigarette lighters / vaporisers and other unmentionables.
Is it any wonder that they give up the fight prematurely and have to be consigned to a drawer and replaced.
Even Gorilla Glass is no defence and should be replaced with armoured glass of the type used to glaze the US President's cars.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Ruggedised Smartphones

Does this damage to daughter's existing phone occur shortly after the release of the latest new model of phone?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

other unmentionables

I'm so glad you didn't mention those.
The Motorola Defy is about the only rugged-ish smartphone that I know of but not great spec by current standards (if you're into that kind of thing).  A possible solution is a good rugged case like Otterbox to fit a preferred phone.
A practical and inexpensive option for some is a simple neck lanyard (I note that my daughter's Blackberry Curve has NO means of attaching any lanyard or similar).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Replace the yellow facia with girlie colour.
http://www.jcbphone.co.uk
Although possibly wouldn't do much for the JCB image

@AlaricAdair
I take your point. However she negotiates a replacement directly with her provider which isn't me Smiley
Her negotiating powers far exceed mine and she usually gets what she wants.
@walker23
She's only 24 and considers any king of case an inconvenience and a time waster Sad
Youngsters today who have grown up with this kind of technology around them don't seem to have the same respect for it as us old 'uns Sad
@journeys
Do you think they would stand up to the rigours of a woman's bag, a place regularly used to test the durability of military equipment.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

other unmentionables

Does that include the kitchen sink? and I won't dare ask what the other items may be  Lips are sealed
Fixes: 125

Quote from: Strat
Her negotiating powers far exceed mine and she usually gets what she wants.

It's a woman's world Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

My daughter  (26 y/o) used tears and sobbing  to good effect when arranging a mobile phone replacement. She does however realise that works on sales people and not parents.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
jmd
Grafter

Just to say as a woman, that not all handbags are like that - I think as you get older you carry less rubbish around so as to prevent arthritis in your shoulder/neck/back.  Mine contains my purse, mobile phone, diary and a tissue - the basic essentials!
Fixes: 125

Quote from: AlaricAdair
My daughter  (26 y/o) used tears and sobbing  to good effect when arranging a mobile phone replacement. She does however realise that works on sales people and not parents.

Ah, yes... As parents we build up an immunity to such things. But then daughters have other ammo they throw at us like "daddy, you know you love me...". I nearly cave in but holding steadfast... so far Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

When the daughter moved into her own place it used to be either borrow from mine or "I need to get a new TV for my bedroom as the colour is rubbish on my old one and it won't tune in properly" Roll eyes
Now she has a partner it's his hard earned readies that finances such things.  

Isn't it strange how so many threads in Chit Chat seem to end up on this subject. We should consider ourselves blessed with our wonderful off-springs.