Community Veteran

Rubbish

Now we know what really happens to all our recycling efforts Smiley
http://tinyurl.com/8cfwqj
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Rubbish

I seem to remember a big debate locally about building a power station nearby that would use all the "burnable" waste to generate heat and electricity for the local economy..... as there is supposed to be a fuel poverty , isn`t it about time this option was more seriously taken up..
I also remember when I lived in a one room bedsit with an open fireplace.... (how far back does memory go?) that I used to be able to buy compressed paper bricks that would burn for a considerable time, and provide heat in the same way as coal...  Whilst there is a limited call for "open fires" due to the modern idiom of gas or oil central heating systems, I am sure the big energy companies using "fire" to heat the water for the steam generators could utilise a similar system but on a "combined ops" scale.  collect the paper, process it into "logs" then burn it to provide the power.....
pierre_pierre
Grafter

well that information is more correct than I Saw on one of the news progs last night, there scaremongering  only effect would be to stop the residents from segregating, best to leave it to the Councils to decide what to do with the resulting collected paper etc.
Years ago I used to collect paper for the local scouts, I was getting about £50 per ton, then the same happened and it dropped to less than £10, but it did eventually pick up again.  I used to get about 2 ton a time from the local travel agents at the end of the season,  (Used a free Transit from work, filled to the centre water line - easy picking at the time)  Best was a collect of Old Times news papers from a Solicitors, got £100 per Cwt for that lot
Community Veteran

I've just got back from Spain where they are building power stations to use waste to produce electricity.  The power stations are being funded by the EU.  I wonder why we aren't taking a similar approach.  If the money is available to Spain why not to the UK.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
If the money is available to Spain why not to the UK.

We gave all our money to the banks
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Dont go near Rivenhall Artmo you will get lynched
For those outside of Essex, the County council for years has been deceptive about incinerating rubbish, they gave outline planning permission for one on an old Airfield, and then said in the other breath "We have no intention of doing so",  Now a private contractor to the County council have held a public exhibiton  and Q&A session of the finished details to do what Artmo is suggesting
They call it an Advanced refuse Digester that will produce heat and electricity
60 Years Ago, Dagenham council had a refuse management unit behind the "Civic Centre" that produced all the hot water for the nearby flats, Nothing is new under the Sun you know
Denzil
Grafter

My only source of heating is a woodburning stove. It is great - it gets the house warm and gives me hot water. Trouble is, firewood is increasingly difficult to find. My previous free sources have dried up, and the commercial suppliers are quoting two month delivery times. I imagine the increasing cost of gas and heating oil has prompted more people to dust out their old fireplaces.
Converting this paper mountain into firebricks sounds like a good idea to me.
The difficulty with getting waste incinerators built here is that they invariably generate vehement local opposition, even when they use all the latest clean burning technology. One proposed for mid-Cornwall is a good example.
Community Veteran

Have a look on ebay, put this in the search block
log maker paper log recycle waste log burning stove open fires
You should see a hand operated machine for about £10.99 !!!
I think you should be able to include some sawdust and woodshavingsas well as the paper,  into the press if mixed with a little water and stirred to a heavy pulp .... when dried out a little should burn quite well in a stove....
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just woken from my after lunch slumber, got this shot of Dagenham civic centre.  the long building at centre right.
Think the refuse centre is the bottom left building, the flats towards the top
Community Veteran

Gasification is the latest in process here on the Isle of Wight (Info from Council website). It will be interesting to see how this develops.
With regard to burning wood at home I am lucky enough to have an open fire and no smoke restrictions, but you have to be careful with what you burn as some woods processed woods give off toxic fumes when burnt.
Community Veteran

Here is a "posh shop"  in Stow  advertising a "paper log maker"
http://www.scottsofstow.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product1_19551_-1_34348_10551
And heres a guy with a DIY version and a "recipe" for the logs too
Note.... small logs dry quicker
http://www.two3five.com/paper2.htm
Community Veteran

When you consider all the electricy power generating staions throughout the country, and their massive cooling towers, one wonders why some of that heat can't be channeled into the local community. But of course that would mean laying a new infrastructure of insulated pipes.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

There is a power generating regime that does make use of this technique CHP (Combined Heat and Power)  but it is not particularly efficient for widescale distribution in most locations.  cf in  Winter it's great lots of 'free' heat  -  but what happens in the Summer when most people turn of the Hot and want Cold?  I think it is used more in the colder parts of Europe where the benefits are more evenly distributed.
Maurice

http://www.chpa.co.uk/
http://www.vitalenergi.co.uk/Combined_heat_power_and_trigeneration.aspx