cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rubbish not being collected

idlewis
Grafter

Rubbish not being collected

The rubbish in my area are not being collected for two or three months and today the bin overflowing with bags despite the binmen not removing them this morning.
The Council said that people will need to purchase bins from them via themselves, the housing association or their Factor but I don't they know that is the case or if they do they may not be willing to do it because residents think the council tax should be paying for the bins.
The street concerned has mixed owners  i.e different association or private so I showed a friend it and said it could cause rats and I phoned the Environmental Health this afternoon and hopefully will do something about it this week.
The problem is that people put rubbish in a big bin which might no belong to the Council and not enough bins for residents to put their rubbish into.
Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks
21 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Rubbish not being collected

Round here the council provide us with three wheeled bins - general waste, recycling and garden waste.
Never heard of people having to pay for their bins before, apart from in their council tax.
They've reduced number of collections to general waste one week and recycling and garden waste the next week.
magnetism2772
Grafter

I located my  local council by going online
entered their website and looked under council services  for refuse collection dates by entering the name of my street
we too have  different types of waste and separate refuse  collection times before all of them get picked up
normal waste, green waste and finally recycled waste like paper card and metal tins
and one type of refuse vehicle wont take another  type of waste away
so where i live we all have to be careful to  separate all our waste  and into the bins
the council say we have to use the bins which they provide free by our local council and to put the bins out on the days
we were notified to do
ring the council and get the collection dates for your street and ask to be supplied with  separate waste bins
surely you don't just have one  communal dumping  point which everybody uses ?

idlewis
Grafter

Giro
The Council has told me twice that residents would need to purchase the bins themselves or via their Factor or Housing Association.  I am not kidding they just started doing this recently but don't when.
It needs to be sorted before it becomes a health hazard.
magnetism2772
Grafter

sounds like its a communal problem and not a problem for you alone to solve
either write a letter to your MP , phone the council and say your contacting   DEFRA
then  phone  Defra
the environment agency
as their responsibilities   include waste
Defra Helpline
Mon-Fri: 8am to 6pm
08459 33 55 77
magnetism2772
Grafter

Name and SHAME your COUNCIL
SOME  HAVE NO RESPECT
magnetism2772
Grafter

The Law
the environmental protection act
states that the council (or where there is a two-tier structure ie the district council) must arrange for the collection of household waste in its area.
The only exception to this is waste: when the council feel it is situated at a place which is so isolated or inaccessible that the cost of collecting it would be unreasonably high, and/or which the council is satisfied that adequate arrangements for its disposal have been or can reasonably be expected to be made by a person who controls the waste.
also states that the public may be required to place their waste in the receptacles provided by the council (otherwise the local authority may refuse to collect it, or they can require householders to use specified containers by Order).
idlewis
Grafter

Thanks  Giro
I live in Scotland so I contact the environment department here if the council do not resolve the problem and it was like picture that was shown like your last post a few times before it was sweeped up by the council but it will happen again if it does get sorted out. Thanks also for the environment law but might only relates to England.
magnetism2772
Grafter

nice to meet you
tc
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Community Veteran

We are in Pembrokeshire, Wales and are well served by our Council. They collect weekly (for how much longer we do not know) and provide black plastic sacks for general rubbish and orange plastic sacks for recylables (except glass). Separate vans collect the sacks on the same day and are most reliable. Glass we take to local bottle banks. Unusual domestic rubbish like furniture or items too big for normal collection can be picked up by arrangement with them, at a modest fee (which is reduced for us OAPs). They have also provided us with sizeable compost bins free for our own use which most seem to use if they have a garden, which is very handy. Sad to hear of inferior service North of the border, money shortfall resulting from profligacy in other spheres perhaps?
  Cheesy  Cheesy
idlewis
Grafter

Hi All
Because I said there were rats, they have cleared the rubbish this morining.  I dont know what will happen next as they put the grey bin back.  I will keep in touch with any news.  Allthough what Colintivy might right about the money issues, there are a health hazard with a large number of children, dogs and a busy local pub nearby.
gswindale
Grafter

Interesting this - here we get a green bin for our normal waste & a blue bin for plastics/card/cans provided free of charge by the council.
We do however have to pay either £30 for a brown bin for garden waste or alternatively 30p for a brown bag to put it in (we go with the bags as we'd take up nearly a year to fill the bin up!).
Our council has implemented a fortnightly collection which does seem to be working ok now - has been in place for a couple of years now although if we were more than a couple we would probably need a proper green bin rather than the slimline one they gave us.
Fixes: 47

We currently have a black bin for general rubbish and a blue bin for paper and cardboard.
Some of that seems to be changing around here http://www.veoliaenvironmentalservices.co.uk/sheffield/pages/new_recycling_service.asp
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

We have an excellent service.  Wheelie bin for normal waste, blue box for glass etc and clear sacks for paper.  All done 2 weekly.  Garden waste is put into a wheelie bin which is emptied weekly.