Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Royals

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

Re: Royals

@Minivanman wrote:

Dare they have a referendum on crown or consensus? Chance would be a fine thing. 😛

They (or the other lot) probably wouldn't agree amongst themselves with the result anyway!

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@jab1 

Maybe that's because they think by being elected they have some God given right to act like royalty!

Just a thought.😊

jab1
Hero
Fixes: 20

I don't think the individuals I am referring to are elected by company employees, @Minivanman , the title is closer to what we in the UK would probably think of as directors - and they are appointed, not elected by the workforce.

Like your thinking, though.Thumbs_UpRoll_eyes

John
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 8

@TTman wrote:

@Luzern I agree a second chamber is important and should be kept. The current one needs slimming down as is too large. It should not be used as a reward for MPs and party hangerons or donors, but for people who have the expertise to be able to scrutinise new laws independent of any part loyalties. 😊 

@TTman  You've hit on the type of person needed, but if left to politicians and elections, there is the danger that the chamber will still be on party lines, and capricious if franchise is FPTP.

A stupid thought is that  they choose among themselves the limited number who sit, with ability to substitute. Non- sitters could research-.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 8

@Minivanman wrote:

Well Trump was elected so yes, I would accept as I must the will of the majority.

We are not by the way a monarchy, we are a parliamentary democracy under an unwritten constitutional monarchy which means the only rights that lot have are those created by precedence. 

Dare they have a referendum on crown or consensus? Chance would be a fine thing. 😛

@Minivanman  Cake and eat it exists. Greece for one is a Crowned Republic. Would that make you happy?Undecided

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Luzern 

I see little difference constitutionally,  and ain't ours half Greek anyway?

After Brexit, stand by for Rexit. 😛

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Can never understand why there are so many libdum peers despite the fact they have hardly any MPs,  libdums keep on about Prop rep but think its OK to have far more peers than they should.....

TTman
Seasoned Pro

@wotsup I know a lot of lib dums were sent to the lords after the last coalition government by camaroon. which greatly increased to the lib dums in the lords. Roll_eyesRoll_eyes

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@wotsup wrote:

Can never understand why there are so many libdum peers despite the fact they have hardly any MPs,  libdums keep on about Prop rep but think its OK to have far more peers than they should.....

@wotsup 

Ah yes, but you're forgetting Jo Swinson is soon going to be prime Minister in a Libdum majority government. Roll_eyes Funny

DaveyH
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 11

@Minivanman wrote:

@TeeGee wrote:

The Royal family are a "steal" compared with what we pay to public sector box tickers and "hangers on" further down the social scale. The income generated from tourism by them is considerable too.

We could probably get  funding for them by getting rid of the House of Lords (£300 expenses just for signing in for a cup of coffee) and cutting Parliament by half.

Regarding your first point, I'm not sure that's true to be honest - in fact I'm pretty sure it's not and without wishing to put you on the spot, perhaps you could provide us with some figures?

Tourism aside, the Crown Estates made a net profit of 343 million last year (which is returned to the treasury) and it's been growing YoY for several

https://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/en-gb/media-and-insights/news/2019-the-crown-estate-announces-anoth...

Now how about you provide some to back up your assertions for a change instead of demanding them of others...

TeeGee
Aspiring Pro

@DaveyH wrote:

Now how about you provide some to back up your assertions for a change instead of demanding them of others...

I will make whatever changes I like without the necessity of having them approved by others.

If the Labout Party can do that so can I.

DaveyH
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 11

Tell minivanman . He was the one asking for figures..
TeeGee
Aspiring Pro

@DaveyH wrote:
Tell minivanman . He was the one asking for figures..

Apologies. My quote was included in your reply which was confusing. I am sure he has got the message!

Highlighted
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@TeeGee 

Oh yes, but then I'd get the message.

Nothing unexpected by being beaten by the same old 'shtick' 

See what I did there? 😛