cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Royal Variety Performance

Fixes: 125

Royal Variety Performance

I only just noticed it's on tonight.
I seem to remember it used to be heavily publicised both on TV and in the press but I can't recall seeing much, if anything, about it before today.
Anyway, looking at the lineup I'll not even bother recording it for if I skip to anything interesting I'd just be left with the ad breaks  Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Royal Variety Performance

Curiously, there doesn't seem to be a website for it.
Unless its under some obscure heading.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
randpwar
Grafter

Ellie Goulding is okay but not at all fussed about the rest
http://www.itv.com/tvguide/
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

When it started.... way back  in 2 channel monochrome 405 line tv days !!!...Stars were .... indeed... STARS... not some berk who had the good luck to win a talent show, because all the rest were worse than him/her.... ( not saying they won because they had/have talent, you see  ! )... also... the cost of taking the family to the theatre to see these stars was quite a lot, compared to the average one man`s take home wage.... so having it on Telly, did two or three things.... it brought the stars,  ( and in this case, quite a number of star performers, ) into the home environment.... all at the same time... in one showing... also there was a " we watched the Royal Variety Show " kudos, as if they were actually watching with the Queen....
It was a BIG tradition, and a BIG HONOUR to the stars of the day, to be invited to perform in front of royalty...
Nowadays... it is just an old tradition, that fills up some tv time, at very little cost to the broadcasters....
With all the wide choices of personal  "entertainment" now on offer, and more "disposable" income per family/person the RVS is not something that is important to the general public anymore...
(I can`t remember the last one I watched............ [ don`t think it was in  monochrome on 2 channel tv though .......  } )
Community Veteran

It was recorded some time ago as the royal guests are HRH prince William and kate who are both in New York at present.
Fixes: 125

@shutter +1
You used to be able to look at the list of performers and be sure to be entertained by just about all of them. These days it seems more like a bunch of unknowns or the unfunniest of comedians Sad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

itsme
Grafter

Can I asked who the moaners would like to see on the show?
Community Veteran

Personally.... I wouldn`t miss it if it was not on.... !   so whoever is on, will not make me want to waste my time watching it... it is totally outdated.... so much so, that HRH Queen is not attending, she sent her minion ! ...
( if "she" cant`t be bothered,,..... why should I ? )
If I were to list those who I would want to watch in an "entertainment package" ( not entitled "royal". )... I doubt if anyone on this forum would know who they were,.. because they are all "forren" quality stars in their own country...
Community Veteran

Just had a look at the lineup and found a few acts I can watch. Shirley Bassey, Alfie Boe, Ellie Golding, Collabro, Simply Red, Miss Saigon. Worth having on in the background I think Smiley
Community Veteran

Today's modern acta and "singers" should be locked in a room with a video of Shirley Bassey at the RVP and told This....is how it should be done, no prancers, trick lighting or voice correcting technology, just a slightly ageing woman who can actually out-sing anybody you care to name, holding an audience with her sheer presentation skills.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Well with the exception of the performers I mentioned in my earlier post I thought the show was dreadful.  Worst of all were the so-called comedians. I don't think there was a decent joke from any of them.
@Petlew, I agree with your comments on Shirley Bassey - a true performer who can teach the others a thing or two about their craft.
itsme
Grafter

So nothing changed as I thought that 40 years ago which is also my opinion of Sunday Night at the London Palladium
Community Veteran

Sunday Night at the Palladium (for copyright reasons or something like that, :London wasn't used for the recent series) was an appalling waste of watching time and seemed to me simply a vehicle to promote the different compares each week, who took up an inordinate amount of time in the shows.
Worst act of the series? Jimmy Tarbuck who was absolutely dire.
It was only on since SWMBO wanted to see them, and even she was getting fed up with it, using the mute button more often that having the sound on.

randpwar
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
.  Worst of all were the so-called comedians. I don't think there was a decent joke from any of them.

Completely agree.
I missed Bette Midler unfortunately, but thought that Bassey had lost a lot of her power; A bit harsh to criticise though as without doubt she's still a good trooper
Community Veteran

I missed Bette Midler unfortunately.............

Should be something here for you, then.....
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bette+midler
This was her... 40 years ago  ! .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFHm6vKjO4Q