cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Royal Mail Their excessive charges and Confusing Pick Up Read On!!!!

zedingrove
Grafter

Royal Mail Their excessive charges and Confusing Pick Up Read On!!!!

Got a card through my door today... "Unfortunately we can't deliver your item because there is a fee to pay."
Apparently the sender did not pay the correct postage, it was short by 9p... (how though, as parcel was posted through sub post office)
But payment due is £1.09. Includes a £1.00 handling feeHuhHuh
But it gets better, as if you have a delivery to the UK from out side the EU and there is a customs charge to pay on it,
Royal Mail levies an £8.00 handling feeHuh?Huh
26 REPLIES
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Royal Mail Their excessive charges and Confusing Pick Up Read On!!!!

I had that once with a DVD box set from the US, customs charge was less than a pound but handling fee £10+!
And on top of that someone sold my card details after I had to pay RM online.  Angry
Community Veteran

Unless I know very specifically that I'm expecting something that I really do want and am prepared to:
a) Drive to the sorting office
b) Pay to park
c) Pay the fee
I just ignore these and let them go back to the sender.
If I suspect it's something from eBay I definitely ignore it; not delivered, get your money back from PayPal.
Community Veteran

I recently got 'stung' because my daughter got sent a birthday card that was just about 5mm thick.  It would go through one of their standard gauges but the guy at the Post Office collections office said it was down to the sending depot and they had determined it was a 'large letter'.  Sad
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Fixes: 104

We had exactly the same thing walker23, daughters birthday card had a bow on it which apparently meant it couldn't fit through the slot.
£1.09 to collect, it's a joke.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

What I find just as difficult to understand is how a birthday card around A5 in size can cost more to deliver just because it's nearly quarter of an inch thick at some point due to a bit of decoration.  I bet yours, dvorak, just like mine would have gone through the slot with minimal persuasion, just happens to touch both sides at the same time.  Crazy
'Jobsworth' springs to mind.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Fixes: 104

Yup, fit through with no issue. Jobsworth indeed.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I had this happen a few years back too. Bought an item off ebay.. sender got a receipt for it etc.
Turned up two weeks late with no postage attached, with the postie wanting full postage plus £1 handling. He even admitted that they had delayed its delivery on purpose. Disgusted, I printed him off a receipt for the postage that the sender had emailed me and sent him packing. RM / PO customer services compensated me with two books of first class stamps.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

if you look on the back of cards there is a symbol that tells you the correct postage rate for the card so mistakes shouldn't happen.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: zedingrove
Got a card through my door today... "Unfortunately we can't deliver your item because there is a fee to pay."

I've had a couple of these and both times I was expecting nothing.
I ignored them and heard no more neither from the post office nor anyone who may have sent me something without my knowledge.
I could easily imagine it was a promotional package from some company who wished me to pay for it's receipt Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
zedingrove
Grafter

Reading all posts makes me wonder what it is? As what I am expecting from ebay is 2 Kilos in weight
and from what I can see the under paid 9p would suggest it is an envelope...
Also just googled the address and comes up with a sauna/vets  Crazy
nadger
Rising Star

They once tried to charge me postage and fee for hospital appointment letter then realised it was franked on back by hospital when I went to collect.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I wish Royal Mail could apply the same standards to junk mail that is often full to bursting thick with unwanted promotional leaflets.
Seems they never get surcharged or returned to sender.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
zedingrove
Grafter

Oh yeah, just reminded me, by and by I get a few reminders for unpaid parking tickets, knowing who they are from
will just write RTS not known at this address...
Few months back had collected a few, so popped them in the letter box,
Couple days later they are reposted back to me...return to sender etc I forgot to write.
So just for a laugh I reposted them again, and two days later, delivered back to me.
By now these letters had multiple postmarks on them, and yet delivered with out a charge...... Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

For comparison.....
My missus just sold a large quantity of dolls house furniture on ebay.... I have just packed it all each item individually wrapped in newspaper and a nice bed of crunched up newspaper in the heavy weight cardboard boxes that adorn the fruit and veg dept in Morrisons.  Two boxes measuring 24 x 13 x 15 inches each... combined weight about 20 kg.  
Post office quote for one parcel of 25 kg to the address.....£31.58 + VAT.....  (£37.89)  . Of course, I have to put it in the car and take it to the post office, so add on a bit of diesel , so call it a nice round figure of £40.00 for guaranteed 48 hour delivery.
Went to Google, and came up with Parcel2go.... who quoted  YODEL  as courier firm....... £15.96 (Inc VAT) for the two parcels..... home collection..... 48 hour delivery,..... but could be next day,..... and no extra for my diesel....
Guess who got my business .....
Filled in all the necessary details (basically my  address and the addressee, and size/weight and number of parcels.....)  on line.....
printed off a label with all of YODEL`s courier tracking info including barcode..... one for each parcel,  (even marked 1of2 and 2of2 )... with the address .... !
Paid for it with PayPal.... and never went out of the house.... (well it was raining a bit.........  Cheesy.... )

Moral of the story.... if you have a "parcel to go ".... check out the net first, before dashing off to the post office and queuing ........................................... Wink